muscovie duck at 15 degrees plops to ground when walking?

3Ducks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
I assume her feet are cold? She is a small 5 pound female that I odopted from humaine society last month. They said she used to have a heated pool.all my other scovies will be walking around and she sits by herself on a perch with her head burried in her back. This happens when it hits 15 degrees out...we have freezing artic on its way soon..should I bring her inside ?

I would seriously consider bringing her in. Some ducks just aren't up for the weather.

And it could change as she gets older. Our first winter, Fünf, Sieben, and at least one other runner would shiver, and scrunch up, and walk stiff-legged around the pen if it was below 40F. I decided I had nothing to prove, so I moved them into the walkout basement. They felt much better.

The next winter, they were much less bothered by the cold, but Acht was quite thin. This winter, everyone is fine (I keep them in the basement pen at night, still) as far as body condition and behavior go. But I don't leave them out very long if it is below 30F. Half of them are just not that hardy, so we go with what's best for them.

I have read on here so many people say there ducks are fine in -10 degree weather I have a hard time believing that.If a dog is not suposed to be in that type of weather how is a duck going to. Most ducks fly south and when we get them as babies they do not have a choice of being in cold weather .Thanks for the comment . I will bring her in tommorow..tonight is 34 so I m good for tonight...I think I will put a heater in shed

Back
Top Bottom