Muscovies don't eat slugs

I didn't know they were called muscovies, but I have a couple of these right now. My male muscovie I have raised from hatchling, and he is 6 months old. In the A.M., he eats the food I give chickens in the morning which is whole corn, milled corn, and chicken pellet food on a tray. Also rice, both cooked or uncooked. Then he free ranges all day in the grass, I figure plenty of insects. At night, I usually give him rice, and maybe some leftovers of whatever meat we have cooked because he sleeps in my house. Strangely enough, he also eats dog food evert night. I feed my dogs and they usually let him eat first and he loves dog food and rice. Judging by his weight, I guess the dog food is quite healthy for him, he's huge.

Attachments

• 20210508_022130.jpg
    20210508_022130.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 6
I didn't know they were called muscovies, but I have a couple of these right now. My male muscovie I have raised from hatchling, and he is 6 months old. In the A.M., he eats the food I give chickens in the morning which is whole corn, milled corn, and chicken pellet food on a tray. Also rice, both cooked or uncooked. Then he free ranges all day in the grass, I figure plenty of insects. At night, I usually give him rice, and maybe some leftovers of whatever meat we have cooked because he sleeps in my house. Strangely enough, he also eats dog food evert night. I feed my dogs and they usually let him eat first and he loves dog food and rice. Judging by his weight, I guess the dog food is quite healthy for him, he's huge.
Hes also beautiful! My Muscovy love dry dog food, I only give it as a treat though. Sounds like he is living the pampered life.
02E9E682-F0E3-468F-8B47-BB41452C2F56.jpeg
005A4E1B-784C-4D50-9D01-49AC394A0B6D.jpeg
C684B449-22FD-418B-A120-2CF0CA63F681.jpeg
A56E04E7-A882-436F-956D-7365203581AE.jpeg

I only have 5 Muscovy now. They are all older my oldest is 14 she’s the one in the pool all the others are 10 yrs old. Except for the one with the 2 ducklings she is 9 yrs. she hatched Runners. :love

but I mostly just want to be sure they're getting a balanced, nutritious diet.

If you have a complete food that is meant for ducks, and they have water, then that is all they need. That is the point of a complete feed. (Not saying other things are bad, just saying other things are not needed for good nutrition.)

My local co-op doesn't have duck feed. I'll try finding it online.

Yes, duck food would be great, or you can also look for "flock raiser" feed. Read the label to be sure, but most of those are suitable for ducks.

Hes also beautiful! My Muscovy love dry dog food, I only give it as a treat though. Sounds like he is living the pampered life.
I only have 5 Muscovy now. They are all older my oldest is 14 she’s the one in the pool all the others are 10 yrs old. Except for the one with the 2 ducklings she is 9 yrs. she hatched Runners. :love
I love your pictures. They are just gorgeous! You must be so proud :thumbsup 14? Wow! I have read ducks are hardy and can have relatively long lifespans. It's very encouraging to see such a thriving bunch. Thanks so much for sharing! Very much appreciated ☺️

Back
Top Bottom