Are letting him be a duck? If you have a backyard, let him roam around and let him nimble and eat things. He looks a male that could be a little runty (slow grower).
We do let him outside everyday but never by himself. My daughter is afraid he will fly off and Im afraid he will eat something he's not supposed to bc my husband is a mechanic and has race cars and “projects” all over the back yard. He so big and heavy I can't imagine him being runty. His wing span like 44”. but I surely hope he's not.

I believe you have a female (hen). 🥰 You will know soon enough if it starts laying. That’s great that you rescued her. To be honest, I’m not sure what to tell you. When my ducks were younger, I would sprinkle niacin (bought from Walmart in capsules) over their food. Also, I would put a little apple cider vinegar in their water. Mine are over a year old and free range on our pond. Now I feed them a mix of flock food and cracked corn to supplement their diet. Muscovies are amazing animals. We have three and love ours!
Video of his voice. Don't mind the high pitched chirp. That's just our cockatiel Lemon Pepper. She gets sassy when no one is giving her attention lol.

You don’t want to put grit in their food just a small bowl close to their food and let them eat it as they need it.
It looks to me like he may have a niacin deficiency I’d get liquid BComplex and start giving him 1 ml daily and poultry cell to boost his immune system. As for feed my Muscovy drake isn’t picky he loves for a treat though dry small kibble food. He’s over 12 yr old and has to take cosequin so he gets his dog food sprinkled with the cosequin then just enough warm water to get the cosequin to absorb. My flock is mixed so I feed chicken feed and mix in 6 way grains. A non gmo called Nature Crest. The liquid b should also help stimulate his appetite. Stop with the chicken scratch it really doesn’t have much nutritional value. Letting him swim is good it helps to keep his muscles strong.sounds like a drake to me. He’s very pretty.

Last edited:
You don’t want to put grit in their food just a small bowl close to their food and let them eat it as they need it.
It looks to me like he may have a niacin deficiency I’d get liquid BComplex and start giving him 1 ml daily and poultry cell to boost his immune system. As for feed my Muscovy drake isn’t picky he loves for a treat though dry small kibble food. He’s over 12 yr old and has to take cosequin so he gets his dog food sprinkled with the cosequin then just enough warm water to get the cosequin to absorb. My flock is mixed so I feed chicken feed and mix in 6 way grains. A non gmo called Nature Crest. The liquid b should also help stimulate his appetite. Stop with the chicken scratch it really doesn’t have much nutritional value. Letting him swim is good it helps to keep his muscles strong.sounds like a drake to me. He’s very pretty.
Thank you so much for this information. I will get the supplies and start him on them immediately. I made the mistake of taking my concerns to Reddit and they have all dubbed me a p.o.s. person who is poorly caring for and abusing Sparki and should rehome him. Mainly they're all upset about using grocery bags as diapers but have convinced me to stop using them.

Does Sparki mind the grocery bag diaper? If he doesn't and it's not causing him problems I would continue to use them.

To me it sounds like ya'll love Sparki and only want the best for him.
He has never shown any aggression, fear, or struggle when putting a bag on, taking if off, or while wearing it. But thank you so much for this bc I've literally been crying thinking I am a horrible person. We absolutely do love Sparki and want what's best for him and they are saying if I do feel that way then I should give him away. Comments such as “This duck would be better off being released at a local park than living indoors with plastic bags as diapers. You should be ashamed of this. Here is my only advice to you: Get rid of this duck. Rehome it or release it at the park. You have exactly zero business keeping this animal. You are abusing it.” and “You'll either do the right thing or you won't.The plastic bag is completely egregious and the fact that you continue using it gives me very little hope for this poor duck. What a terrible twist of fate that brought him to you.” are literally killing me. I cannot stop crying.

My advice is to never go back to that place.
They actually said dump him off at a park well that is completely against the law and these people should know a domestic duck that has been cared for by humans has very little chance of making it out in the wild.

https://search.brave.com/search?q=duck+and+goose+diaper+harness you'd probably need to buy a goose size. I had them for my Muscovy drake when he was a youngin.

Last edited:
My advice is to never go back to that place.
They actually said dump him off at a park well that is completely against the law and these people should know a domestic duck that has been cared for by humans has very little chance of making it out in the wild.

https://search.brave.com/search?q=duck+and+goose+diaper+harness you'd probably need to buy a goose size. I had them for my Muscovy drake when he was a youngin.
Thank you for your kind words and the link. I never even thought about goose diapers. Thank you 🙏

Back
Top Bottom