muscovy color genetics?

achilles4507

Hatching
Nov 21, 2020
hey so I believe I saw a post a while ago that said when a chocolate muscovy and a black muscovy breed the chocolate ducklings that they produce will be ducks and the black drakes. my chocolate, however, acts more like a drake than my black, who is currently in the nesting box. i had three blacks and one chocolate hatch and kept the chocolate and the smallest black. so im wondering if I just didn’t read that post correctly? ive had muscovies a few years but im not very knowledgeable. thanks
B7BFACC3-D1C0-49FD-9FE1-7720AFF7AF3D.jpeg
3F05B704-7059-490B-8D80-6477A4968561.jpeg
69974BF9-7921-4DB7-8A20-781A9C54144C.jpeg

hey so I believe I saw a post a while ago that said when a chocolate muscovy and a black muscovy breed the chocolate ducklings that they produce will be ducks and the black drakes. my chocolate, however, acts more like a drake than my black, who is currently in the nesting box. i had three blacks and one chocolate hatch and kept the chocolate and the smallest black. so im wondering if I just
hey so I believe I saw a post a while ago that said when a chocolate muscovy and a black muscovy breed the chocolate ducklings that they produce will be ducks and the black drakes. my chocolate, however, acts more like a drake than my black, who is currently in the nesting box. i had three blacks and one chocolate hatch and kept the chocolate and the smallest black. so im wondering if I just didn’t read that post correctly? ive had muscovies a few years but im not very knowledgeable. thanks View attachment 2419511View attachment 2419509View attachment 2419510
so the black one just laid an egg this morning, guess I have an answer lol. least I think it was that one, it was in the nest box then I found a duck egg in it

A chocolate DRAKE bred to a black female will yield chocolate females and black males that carry the chocolate gene.

A black drake bred to a chocolate female will yield all black, and the boys will carry the chocolate gene.

A black drake carrying chocolate bred to a chocolate hen will yield an equal mix of black and chocolate males and females.

A black drake carrying chocolate bred to a black hen will yield black males, half of which carry chocolate gene. Half the females will be chocolate, the other half will be black.

Black females don't carry the chocolate gene.

Last edited:
A chocolate DRAKE bred to a black female will yield chocolate females and black males that carry the chocolate gene.

A black drake bred to a chocolate female will yield all black, and the boys will carry the chocolate gene.

A black drake carrying chocolate bred to a chocolate hen will yield an equal mix of black and chocolate males and females.

A black drake carrying chocolate bred to a black hen will yield black males, half of which carry chocolate gene. Half the females will be chocolate, the other half will be black.

Black females don't carry the chocolate gene.
o cool

Back
Top Bottom