Muscovy drake/duckling dynamic

Humanbean68

Songster
Jul 8, 2020
How safe are Muscovy drakes around naturally hatched ducklings? One of my two hens is going to be hatching a batch soon and I’m not sure if I need to separate them or not. Will the hen protect them, or is it even an issue?

I've always kept my mama Muscovy and ducklings in plain view of the drake but not together for at least the first week. Not all drakes are alike so you need to use your own judgement when it comes to yours. Once I let my mama and ducklings out with everyone they pretty much respect her and keep their distance. But If a drake wanted to attack and kill I don't think she'd be much of a match for him. What I have seen is when I let mama and ducklings out my drake gets as far away as possible. Don't know if he's afraid of mama or the ducklings. Also if a duckling was to stray away from mama and the rest of its sibs that can present a problem too. It's something that is unique to each person and their Muscovy's. By keeping them together for at least a week but where everyone can still see each other gives mama and ducklings time to really bond and gives everyone a chance to get use to the new ones.

I've always kept my mama Muscovy and ducklings in plain view of the drake but not together for at least the first week. Not all drakes are alike so you need to use your own judgement when it comes to yours. Once I let my mama and ducklings out with everyone they pretty much respect her and keep their distance. But If a drake wanted to attack and kill I don't think she'd be much of a match for him. What I have seen is when I let mama and ducklings out my drake gets as far away as possible. Don't know if he's afraid of mama or the ducklings. Also if a duckling was to stray away from mama and the rest of its sibs that can present a problem too. It's something that is unique to each person and their Muscovy's. By keeping them together for at least a week but where everyone can still see each other gives mama and ducklings time to really bond and gives everyone a chance to get use to the new ones.
Thank you, that sounds reasonable. I will start working on a plan to make that happen before these eggs hatch!

Back
Top Bottom