Muscovy duck acting weird.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eli1977, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Eli1977

Eli1977 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2016
    My muscovy duck is acting weird. She still isnt laying and about a month ago she lost her sister and boyfriend to a tragic accident.she has been alone ever since. We are trying to get her more friends but neighbors who have them are having problems catching them. Meanwhile she got use to the chickens and hangs out with them a lot. We have a duck coop where she stays by her self at night.about a week ago she started to stay in a coop more and just lays in her nesting box. But doesnt lay any eggs. I am wondering whats wrong with her. She dosnt eat her corn and seeds like she use to.and only goes for a swim in her tub very little. Is she just bored or is it too hot. Its been near 80 lately, she and the chickens hang out a lot under a cedar tree getting dust baths and she sleeps there too during the day.should i be concerned?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

My condolences on the loss of your two Muscovy. They're very social (and intelligent) creatures, so she's probably missing company of her own kind.

While there may be a psychological driver for her behavior, I'd rule out a physical cause first. Do you feed any supplemental feed or extra protein - you mentioned seeds, is she getting sunflower seeds? If not, you could try feeding her something with more protein and see if that helps perk her up.

Muscovy are clutch layers, so they lay for a while and then take a break. If she's not feeling well, though, that could definitely impact her laying...but you're sure she's not hiding her eggs somewhere?

The temperature should be ok for her now - Muscovy are descended from South American tree ducks, so they can usually handle hot temperatures pretty well. I'm in KY and we get similar weather to yours...I normally don't need to take extra measures for their comfort until it gets up into the 90s.

It's too bad you're not closer to me - I have a drake that could keep her company and ducklings hatching soon. [​IMG]

Hope your girl gets some companion(s) and is back to her old self soon!

1 person likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Eli1977

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by