Muscovy Duck Babies

TarynLord

Chirping
Mar 15, 2024
Hey guys I am new to the bird world. I have a pair of muscovy and my hen has layed 14 eggs so far and she has been sitting on them pretty consistently since about day 11. So I have a few questions:
1 how many eggs can she lay are per clutch?
2 I read that it takes 35 days for them to develop, when does the 35 days start?
3 we have a mostly black drake with a white head and a brown hen, what are possible colors we can expect from the babies?

Attachments

• 37FB2EC1-46BD-4F07-8FA4-E6DDD8773C37.jpeg
    37FB2EC1-46BD-4F07-8FA4-E6DDD8773C37.jpeg
    604.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 5A09FC90-3D56-4B74-86E6-C5DF357E5D3E.jpeg
    5A09FC90-3D56-4B74-86E6-C5DF357E5D3E.jpeg
    551 KB · Views: 11
Hey guys I am new to the bird world. I have a pair of muscovy and my hen has layed 14 eggs so far and she has been sitting on them pretty consistently since about day 11. So I have a few questions:
1 how many eggs can she lay are per clutch?
2 I read that it takes 35 days for them to develop, when does the 35 days start?
3 we have a mostly black drake with a white head and a brown hen, what are possible colors we can expect from the babies?
Welcome to BYC. If she is consistently sitting on them they are already developing.
I would Mark the eggs she currently is sitting on with a pencil, then take any eggs laid thereafter. When the eggs began to hatch most hens will sit for another 2 to 3 days, then leave the unhatched eggs behind. You don't want a bunch of developed eggs left behind. I keep a small incubator for "left behind" eggs. It's heartbreaking to know a chick is alive but won't hatch because the hen leaves the nest, but her instincts are to care for the ones who have hatched.

Welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us.

1. Are you asking how many eggs she'll lay before she goes broody? That number can vary greatly depending on the bird, but it's usually around 10-20 eggs. Once she goes broody you could add or take away eggs without her noticing.

2. Day 1 starts 24 hours after incubation has begun (so once she's been sitting consistently for at least a day).

3. I'm not sure what colors you'll get from crossing the two.

Welcome to BYC. If she is consistently sitting on them they are already developing.
I would Mark the eggs she currently is sitting on with a pencil, then take any eggs laid thereafter. When the eggs began to hatch most hens will sit for another 2 to 3 days, then leave the unhatched eggs behind. You don't want a bunch of developed eggs left behind. I keep a small incubator for "left behind" eggs. It's heartbreaking to know a chick is alive but won't hatch because the hen leaves the nest, but her instincts are to care for the ones who have hatched.
So if I mark them all tomorrow that’ll be 15. If I take the one from day 16 and so on from her nest she will still lay on her others? I don’t want to disturb her and she stops laying on all of her eggs. Sorry if this is confusing i really have 0 knowledge.

So if I mark them all tomorrow that’ll be 15. If I take the one from day 16 and so on from her nest she will still lay on her others? I don’t want to disturb her and she stops laying on all of her eggs. Sorry if this is confusing i really have 0 knowledge.
I don't have ducks, I have chickens, but I've never had one get off the eggs because I pulled some.

What do you mean take one from day 16? Is she still laying?
Also, do you know how to candle eggs?

Back
Top Bottom