Muscovy-palooza

Songster
Oct 17, 2018
East Tennessee
We got our first 3 muscovy's last summer. One female and two males. We never had a duck house prepared for them but they had plenty of places around the farm to seek shelter out of the weather. A barn, under the decks, under the house, under boxwoods, etc. This year we have have been blessed with two clutches of Muscovy ducklings this year. The first was May 31st and the second was August 11th. The first clutch, and the mamma, were watched closely by both the males, and hung out near the house enjoying the spring bed and now they love to hang out by our pond. Just a few weeks later mamma was ready to sit on more eggs so she left the 1st batch of 6 to the daddy's to care for. (Prior to her ditching the babies, we lost 6 of the 12 that were hatched). We aren't positive but think that the remaining ducks of the 1st hatchlings are all boys(not positive but they are all much larger than their mom). Since the second clutch hatched Mamma muscovy has kept them very close and away from the other ducks, all boys, I think. We cleaned out an old chicken house and trained the momma to take the Aug 11th babies in there to eat, drink and stay the night. One night I had to be out and got home after dark. Momma and the babies were down next to the pond bedded down for the night. The other 8 ducks, all males we think, were next to the pond as well. Over this past week Momma duck does not appear to want anything to do with the duck house other that to just eat. I have had a difficult time trying to wrangle them up the ramp and into their accommodations, out of the elements. I was not successful tonight! The bigger boys were interested in going in but I didn't allow that.They went in and ate then they were ready to come back out and headed toward the pond, again where the other ducks are hanging.
Now to my questions........Should I allow all of the ducks to go into the duck house together? I am concerned that having so many Muscovy males together could pose a problem. Is my concern valid or overprotective?
Should I worry myself if they want to stay outside by the pond rather than go into the duck house? It is obvious that they feel safe by the pond.
I was hopeful that mamma would lay her eggs in the duck house so that I could begin collecting her eggs. The first nest that she made this spring was under the house but she abandoned that one. The second laying was done in the barn stall located in our front pasture not too far from the pond. Once the first batch hatched, she would take the babies to bed down in the barn until she finally just left them with that dads by the pond while she went back to the barn to begin laying again. (We did lose 4 of these babies, I think maybe to a Hawk)
Should I let mamma duck just do her laying in the barn and just go down there to collect her eggs?
If I remove her eggs as she lays them, is she likely to nest somewhere else or to stop laying?
What can I expect with more than half of the flock being boys?

We got our first 3 muscovy's last summer. One female and two males. We never had a duck house prepared for them but they had plenty of places around the farm to seek shelter out of the weather. A barn, under the decks, under the house, under boxwoods, etc. This year we have have been blessed with two clutches of Muscovy ducklings this year. The first was May 31st and the second was August 11th. The first clutch, and the mamma, were watched closely by both the males, and hung out near the house enjoying the spring bed and now they love to hang out by our pond. Just a few weeks later mamma was ready to sit on more eggs so she left the 1st batch of 6 to the daddy's to care for. (Prior to her ditching the babies, we lost 6 of the 12 that were hatched). We aren't positive but think that the remaining ducks of the 1st hatchlings are all boys(not positive but they are all much larger than their mom). Since the second clutch hatched Mamma muscovy has kept them very close and away from the other ducks, all boys, I think. We cleaned out an old chicken house and trained the momma to take the Aug 11th babies in there to eat, drink and stay the night. One night I had to be out and got home after dark. Momma and the babies were down next to the pond bedded down for the night. The other 8 ducks, all males we think, were next to the pond as well. Over this past week Momma duck does not appear to want anything to do with the duck house other that to just eat. I have had a difficult time trying to wrangle them up the ramp and into their accommodations, out of the elements. I was not successful tonight! The bigger boys were interested in going in but I didn't allow that.They went in and ate then they were ready to come back out and headed toward the pond, again where the other ducks are hanging.
Now to my questions........Should I allow all of the ducks to go into the duck house together? I am concerned that having so many Muscovy males together could pose a problem. Is my concern valid or overprotective?
Should I worry myself if they want to stay outside by the pond rather than go into the duck house? It is obvious that they feel safe by the pond.
I was hopeful that mamma would lay her eggs in the duck house so that I could begin collecting her eggs. The first nest that she made this spring was under the house but she abandoned that one. The second laying was done in the barn stall located in our front pasture not too far from the pond. Once the first batch hatched, she would take the babies to bed down in the barn until she finally just left them with that dads by the pond while she went back to the barn to begin laying again. (We did lose 4 of these babies, I think maybe to a Hawk)
Should I let mamma duck just do her laying in the barn and just go down there to collect her eggs?
If I remove her eggs as she lays them, is she likely to nest somewhere else or to stop laying?
What can I expect with more than half of the flock being boys?
I raise Calls but I definitely advertise any or all Ducklings I hatch. Too many Drakes will definitely cause issues.

I am in a predicament and I'm hoping someone on here can help. My husband ran across a man who was giving 2 female and 2 male Muscovy ducks. He took them knowing that I have been wanting some. No I have no of a what to do with them. We put them in an old chicken coop we had. Do I just let them go now and figure out this is their home or keep them in the coop for a few days to get used to where they are supposed to be?? Please help!

I am in a predicament and I'm hoping someone on here can help. My husband ran across a man who was giving 2 female and 2 male Muscovy ducks. He took them knowing that I have been wanting some. No I have no of a what to do with them. We put them in an old chicken coop we had. Do I just let them go now and figure out this is their home or keep them in the coop for a few days to get used to where they are supposed to be?? Please help!
I would keep them penned up for a while until they are comfortable and think of your place as home. They also need to become familiar with you. After a month or two you can let them out generally. They should return to the coop to roost and eat. If you let them free too soon they could just wander off.

I would keep them penned up for a while until they are comfortable and think of your place as home. They also need to become familiar with you. After a month or two you can let them out generally. They should return to the coop to roost and eat. If you let them free too soon they could just wander off.
Ok great! Thanks! We have raised chickens for some time and that's what we do with them but I have never had or raised ducks so I didn't know. The chicken coop is fairly small and these a large ducks so I was worried about that. Any other tips would be appreciated! I've read a lot but I don't know anyone that has ducks to ask lol

Ok great! Thanks! We have raised chickens for some time and that's what we do with them but I have never had or raised ducks so I didn't know. The chicken coop is fairly small and these a large ducks so I was worried about that. Any other tips would be appreciated! I've read a lot but I don't know anyone that has ducks to ask lol
If the coop is really small than you may want to add a run onto it. Muscovy can fly well if their wings aren't clipped so sometimes they are hard to contain. You may want to start a new thread including your housing so folks can give better advice.

Two drakes may fight when contained too closely, hens too will fight on occasion. Getting them homed to your property first is important. Their care is relatively easy. There's lot of muscovy keepers here so you should be able to get help setting up your ducks properly.

Defiently put them up in an enclosed pen. Safe from predators. You want them to know they are home so they don’t freak out and fly off. It may take a while but they will settle in . Not sure I’d put new ducks in with chickens right off especially if they haven’t ever been around either species.

Thanks so much for the replies! I released them in the backyard enclosure with my chickens about 4 days after we got them. At first the chickens were a bit standoffish but they quickly made friends. We have a Creek behind their fenced in enclosure and the ducks fly in and out and even roost on top of the chicken coops. They also have a huge tub of water that they have to play/bath in as well. They are very friendly and even come when I have scraps they all seem to have their own pecking order and the females like to fly out and come visit me lol

Thanks so much for the replies! I released them in the backyard enclosure with my chickens about 4 days after we got them. At first the chickens were a bit standoffish but they quickly made friends. We have a Creek behind their fenced in enclosure and the ducks fly in and out and even roost on top of the chicken coops. They also have a huge tub of water that they have to play/bath in as well. They are very friendly and even come when I have scraps they all seem to have their own pecking order and the females like to fly out and come visit me lol
Muscovy do get around. Mine come up to the house if I'm late with feeding. :)

Back
Top Bottom