1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy Duck Care

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mintatheena, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Mintatheena

Mintatheena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2014
    Orlando
    I'm here to ask any of you who own Muscovy ducks, what are their basic care needs? I have a lake near my house that has a nest full of muscovy eggs...unfortunately, it looks like the hen got run over by a car, I saw her carcass lying on the side of the road, [​IMG]
    She was the only muscovy living around this neck of the woods. I quickly brought the eggs home and candled them and found some development! Luckily, I have my incubator running cause very soon I plan on incubating some silkie eggs. I have them in there now, hopefully the embryos haven't died.
    I know just about everything there is to know about raising chickens, but ducks? No clue. Any insight?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Start here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

That is so sad, good of you to try! now i have never incubated my own but will say since my ducks do, it's takes an average of 35 days for Muscovy incubation vs mallard derived ducks.

What do they need? safe housing, feed, and water some to bathe in.. can be a kiddy pool or some elaborate set-up. Mine get kiddy pools... and troughs.

Muscovy do fly and well, now most drakes(males) reach a point where they are too heavy to do so but it's worth mentioning. Next they do roost, like shelves and short tables to sit upon.

Claws, watch those by day 2 they feel like little needles.. and are super, duper sharp! they use them to climb trees in the wild.. as that is where they nested in hollows of trees.

They are tremendous fly catchers, actually documented for the ability to do so. They also are more land ducks vs water so will often prefer a quick dip and noodling about, they forage very well.

I own mainly Muscovy, started with that breed. They are extremely broody, like silkie chicken broody.. and can set even up to 3 clutches(or more) per year... the females while can honk they generally trill, coo and hiss and males can only hiss so are the most quiet duck going. There is a Muscovy thread, to share and discuss your birds, that would be good to look in on.

Good luck! my avatar is a young scovie of mine, last hatch of the season!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:muscovies incubation las 35 days and they need to be turned hourly with more humidity than a regular egg

1 person likes this.
  4. bluffwood

bluffwood New Egg

Sep 26, 2014
    I do hope you're successful. We were gifted with 4 musovies in the spring of 2013. Two drakes and two females. We had one hatching this summer of 6 but it was pared down to two (we're not sure why, but the barn is big is lots of hay and hiding places... lost? eaten by rats? we're not sure.

both of the females are on clutches of eggs again. Judging by the number of sex encounters we see with two drakes for two females, they ought to be fertile.

5. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

did you know that male muscovies tend to eat rats. mainly if they find them near females nest

6. bluffwood

bluffwood New Egg

Sep 26, 2014
    yeah Buck, I had read that. But even with a mouse my drakes show no inclination to scoop them up.

btw, my ducks have names too:
    Males:
    1. Sir Francis (Drake)
    2. Detective Paul (Drake)

the first named after the famous circumnavigating explorer, the second from a Perry Mason character

Females:
    1. Daisy (laid and brooded the first clutch, nothing came out) but she allows us to come sort of close
    2. Defiance (hatched the first ducklings, named for her penchant and turning left when we want her to turn right)

[​IMG]Within a few days of hatching. already down to 5. And Daisy.
    [​IMG]6 weeks old, the remaining two. very shy. not named. (We don't name animals we may harvest)

7. Double Kindness

Double Kindness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    I'm looking into muscovy ducks too, for their fly catching abilities, meat, eggs. I was thinking of adding them in the spring, but we might get some this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by