Muscovy duck eggs on day 39 and still no pips

I sometimes needed to help some out when they weren't brooded by the muscovy hen because she provides moisture to the eggs. Without it sometimes the membrane gets stuck to them. If they are internally pipped I would make a small hole to see. If you see blood never go any further.

I sometimes needed to help some out when they weren't brooder by the muscovy hen because she provides moisture to the eggs. Without it sometimes the membrane gets stuck to them. If they are internally pipped I would make a small hole to see. If you see blood never go any further.
We made a hole (no blood) in one and saw a beak but it wasn't moving so we're not sure about that one, the membrane was quite dry so we upped the humidity and put it back in the incubator, we'll check on that one tomorrow :fl
In another we also saw a beak so it was internally pipped as well but that one had a bit of fluid so we didn't go any further with that one and we'll keep a close eye on it

A few tries later we successfully hatched 8 babas between 2 mamas!!!
Mama #1 incubated pip and squeak and Mama #2 hatched the 6 others who are still unnamed.
We had no idea that Mama #2 was sitting on eggs at all until her ducklings appeared in the poultry brooder pen with Mama #1 and she was trying to get in!! but now we have 8 happy and healthy duckling and 2 happy and healthy co-parenting mamas!!!

When there was only 2!
20230913_105418.jpg

All 8!
IMG-20230915-WA0002.jpg

Mama #1 looking after all 8 while Mama #2 is resting!
20230920_120016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom