muscovy duck meat, white or dark meat? When and how to butcher?

thoeffel1994

Songster
11 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Is muscovy duck meat white or dark meat? I heard if the bird is white feathered its better for eating, is this true? If so what is different from the white feathered vs dark/multicolored feathered birds meat? When and how to butcher them? Any things you have learned from raising them the first time that u wish you had known when you started raising them?

I am going off of reading things so I have no personal advice. From what understand light feathers equals a nice light looking skinned bird when dressed. Dark feathers means dark skin and it isn't as nice looking. Ducks in general are a dark meat bird however I have never eaten any. I believe most free range/traditional birds have more dark meat than factory farmed.

Muscovy is a red meat similar to veal. I'm raising muscovy for the first time to butcher as well so I don't have advice for you yet...there's a great YouTube channel called 50 Ducks in a hot tub and he shows how he butchers his muscovies. Good luck :)

Muscovy is a red meat similar to veal. I'm raising muscovy for the first time to butcher as well so I don't have advice for you yet...there's a great YouTube channel called 50 Ducks in a hot tub and he shows how he butchers his muscovies. Good luck
smile.png

Oh, we here at BYC know all about 50 Ducks in a Hot Tub. Mainly how he takes terrible care of them and is a belligerent pig who reacts to veterinary advice with contempt and will sic his followers on anyone who tries to give him advice on how to provide his animals with a better quality of life.

I see...I didn't realize the forum already knew about him. There's only a couple videos online of the killing and butchering of muscovy and he's one of them.

ETA: I read through the entire thread about his channel and gotta say his ducks are still treated better than ones that are factory farmed.

Last edited:
He doesn't treat angel wing, doesn't treat for niacin deficiency (not anymore, anyway) and has way, way too many birds than he can handle. So forgive me, but he leaves a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to duck welfare.

He doesn't treat angel wing, doesn't treat for niacin deficiency (not anymore, anyway) and has way, way too many birds than he can handle. So forgive me, but he leaves a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to duck welfare.
I thought i was the only one!!!!!!!!!
I recently started following youtube chanels and i see that this people are a kind of beggers like donate to feed the ducks!!! *** go to work i really love ducks but am working my #$%# to get my farm this year and i see this is a common habbit between these channels!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom