Muscovy duck with swollen one sided abdomen

Hi
She seems to be doing better. Its been a week and she is back to eating how she was. She is still pooing quite liquidy but at other times it is more solid. Also it doesn't smell as much. She is acting normal, looking for bugs and eating grass.

We have been putting some apple cider vinegar in her water nightly and it seems to be helping her. Also I have added the cayene pepper to her grain and when she tries it she eats more.

I think she will be laying eggs soon again as she is asking for more protein lately. And seems more tired which is what she usually does beofre laying again.

I just want to thank you for all your support and suggestions. It is really hard to find information on ducks and even harder to find an avaian vet who will look at her AND know what they're talkin about. So thank you.

That's great! :) I'm so glad she's doing better. I know how hard it is to find information on poultry and for some reason it always seems harder to find info when an animal is sick/injured. I found the BYC website when I needed to find out why one of my ducklings wasn't doing well. Turned out the feed I was feeding them didn't have enough niacin in it for ducklings even though it said it was good for ducklings. Thankfully it was an easy fix and they all were fine, this site is also where I found out about ACV, cayenne pepper powder, and a bunch of other things. I enjoy doing research in my spare time so when I have spare time I read up on common bird maladies and how to treat them without a vet. This site is one of the best for finding out how to treat birds, there's so many experienced people on here that can help you and they're always happy to. :)

I hope she continues to get better,
Brenna

Back
Top Bottom