Muscovy duckling help - no idea what to do! (Australia)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovynnoob, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Scovynnoob

Scovynnoob New Egg

Jan 8, 2015
    Hi! I inherited 4 Muscovy ducks (3 gals and a drake) with the property I just moved into a couple months ago. We're in semi rural bushy Australia and they have free roam of the place during the day and I lock them up in their coop at night. One of the gals has gone broody in the coop 4 times but I've managed to break it by taking the eggs, clearing out the nest and locking her out of the coop during the day. But the clever one of the bunch went broody in a spot under the house where I couldn't get to her (clever thing!) so I had no choice but to wait it out and today 9 cute little ducklings appeared.

These ducks are not pets and are pretty hand shy so I'm not quite sure what to do with these ducklings. Everything I've read online says to put them in a box and keep them warm etc but I can't even get near them (nor can the other two gals as Mum is VERY protective, Dad is allowed near them though). I've put out a shallow dish of water which they seem to love and a shallow dish of duckling crumbles close to where the nest was (all under cover) and I'm not sure what else I can't do for them as I can't get near them.

They will all be going to a good home on another farm and t I'd love some advice on what is a good age to separate them from Mum? We do get snakes and kookaburras up here so I'm hoping for the best but I'd dearly love any advice anyone could give me to try and protect and feed them because I'm a little lost at the moment.

thanks in advance!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Provide feed and water and let the mother do the rest. Your biggest problem will probably be possible loss to predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by