Muscovy duckling pen floor

Steve Ducks

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2021
I used a triangular section between two fences to build an enclosed area for raising Muscovy ducklings. Blocked one end and put bird mesh over the top to keep predators out. Then I covered half of it with construction plastic and then shade cloth to create a waterproof section. Worked great till a major hail storm punched a few holes thru the plastic so now a few leaks.

With just a dirt floor, the uncovered area turned into a muddy poop mess the first year. So I added 10mm gravel in the area with out the rain covering which worked well. It didn’t get too messy since I moved the ducklings and parents out after the ducklings were big enough.

Now, I’m thinking about adding 10mm gravel to the covered side since it gets a bit wet with heavy rains. But, I’m not sure how the Muscovy ducklings will do on the gravel since the first batch stayed on the dirt side until they got bigger.

I read a post here a while back where someone was going to cover their gravel with cement pavers but haven’t been able to find the post. I’ve got a bunch of 400x400mm pavers from a patio I can use but not sure how the ducklings will do on the hard surface.

Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated, Thanks!

I would not put ducklings on a concrete surface. My own adult muscovy walk on my concrete patio and haven't had problems with their feet but other duck owners have advised in this forum that concrete surfaces can hurt adult ducks feet. Muscovy drakes are "heavy" on their feet. Mine weigh 14 - 15lbs and they stomp around. They are not dainty birds.

I just would not want to risk your ducklings' feet on such a hard surface. You can get rubber mats at home depot or perhaps tractor supply, that you could put over the pavers. The mats hose down easily.

I would not put ducklings on a concrete surface. My own adult muscovy walk on my concrete patio and haven't had problems with their feet but other duck owners have advised in this forum that concrete surfaces can hurt adult ducks feet. Muscovy drakes are "heavy" on their feet. Mine weigh 14 - 15lbs and they stomp around. They are not dainty birds.

I just would not want to risk your ducklings' feet on such a hard surface. You can get rubber mats at home depot or perhaps tractor supply, that you could put over the pavers. The mats hose down easily.
Thanks. The last batch of ducklings did ok with the covered dirt side and then ventured onto the gravel after they grew a bit. Any concerns having ducklings on gravel?

Back
Top Bottom