Muscovy duckling with a wobbly neck

Fawkes

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2011
I have a muscovy duckling that is around a week old that has a wobbly neck. I notice it when she's eating, her neck just starts wobbling back and forth. Does she have a weak neck or something?

Also, in the last day or two she hasn't been eating well and I've had to hand feed her and tempt her. She likes it when I take duck pellets, break them in half, dunk them in water, and then hand feed them to her. She was eating like a pig before so it's worrying that all the sudden she's not eating by herself and has a wobbly neck... maybe not eating well caused the wobbly neck?

I rescued her on August 28th when she was like one/two/three days old from one of the feral muscovies that hang out in my yard. She wouldn't follow her mom and was very weak and cold when I found her peeping. After warming her up and getting food and rest she got better. I'm not sure if this is relevant to her problems now or not.

I have a muscovy duckling that is around a week old that has a wobbly neck. I notice it when she's eating, her neck just starts wobbling back and forth. Does she have a weak neck or something?

Also, in the last day or two she hasn't been eating well and I've had to hand feed her and tempt her. She likes it when I take duck pellets, break them in half, dunk them in water, and then hand feed them to her. She was eating like a pig before so it's worrying that all the sudden she's not eating by herself and has a wobbly neck... maybe not eating well caused the wobbly neck?

I rescued her on August 28th when she was like one/two/three days old from one of the feral muscovies that hang out in my yard. She wouldn't follow her mom and was very weak and cold when I found her peeping. After warming her up and getting food and rest she got better. I'm not sure if this is relevant to her problems now or not.
Could be something genetic going on there since you say she wasn't following her mom when you found her, moistening her feed is a good idea just be sure not to let it sit out too long when wet because it can mold pretty quick. I use Apple Cider vinegar and warm water on my flock feed helps keep it fresh and it's very good for them so you might want to consider using some unpasteurized ACV and warm water to moisten her feed. and getting some good quality poultry vitamins to add to her drinking water. Duck pellets are a little harder for new ducklings to eat than crumble so make them moist should help her eat better. Please let us know how she is doing.

Could be something genetic going on there since you say she wasn't following her mom when you found her, moistening her feed is a good idea just be sure not to let it sit out too long when wet because it can mold pretty quick. I use Apple Cider vinegar and warm water on my flock feed helps keep it fresh and it's very good for them so you might want to consider using some unpasteurized ACV and warm water to moisten her feed. and getting some good quality poultry vitamins to add to her drinking water. Duck pellets are a little harder for new ducklings to eat than crumble so make them moist should help her eat better. Please let us know how she is doing.

Yeah, she has crumbles but then all the sudden wasn't eating them well so I tried the wet duck pellets. Through the night she seems to have eaten a good amount of crumbles though thankfully.

I'll try the ACV and poultry vitamins, thanks!

Yeah, she has crumbles but then all the sudden wasn't eating them well so I tried the wet duck pellets. Through the night she seems to have eaten a good amount of crumbles though thankfully.

I'll try the ACV and poultry vitamins, thanks!
Great to hear she has eaten, you can use about 1- tab of unpasteurized to 1 gal of water for drinking and I'd use I/2 teas to 1/2 cup of feed for eating. in crease as she get older. if she is eating duck feed she may not need extra niacin but some still show signs of needing it so if you do notice improvement in 2-3 days maybe see if you can find some plain niacin crush up and add to her drinking water. 100 mgs to start since she is so young.. I know you probably already know this but it is very important that ducklings/ducks have a water source deep enough for them to dunk their heads into to clean out their nares and eyes. with ducklings you just want to make sure what ever you use they can't get into and drown. Thanks for update please keep them coming. Do you have ducks of your own? just curious since you said you had duck pellets. Here is an idea on a safe easy cheap water for ducklings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom