Muscovy ducklings help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leecey411, Apr 26, 2008.

1. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    We picked up 5 Muscovy ducklings with the intention they will be fly control. How long till they eat flies? They are terrified of us right now. I have given them some chick starter to get them used to us, but I want them to eat the flies from the goats and chickens. Any advice?

2. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    well how old are they they are pretty noisy

3. ZooZoo

ZooZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    My ducklings are a week old and chase after a fly everytime they see one. They love em. You will still have to feed them pellets though. Flies are not that filling. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

4. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    They need to eat non medicated gamefowl starter (18 to 22 % protein)for 2 weeks. Then you can swtch to all purpose feed (NOT layer feed) for 4 or 5 months or until they start laying, at which time you can feed them regualr layer pellets. Once they learn about bugs, they will eat their share, but you will still need to supplement their flies with good feed.

5. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    We use a chick? / duckling starter non medicated. They will eat all kinds of bugs and weeds, and will do so when you let them out! As they get bigger they will be better at it.
    Keep handling them, but gently and slowly. They are very timid at first, my girls are gonna be 2 and they will eat out of my hand, but wont ley me pet them, but my drake seeks me out and will fellow me where ever I go.
    It takes time!
    Who ever asked if there are noisy, no, they are very quiet. You can't tell you even have ducks, unless they are scared or hurt!
    They make the coolest sounds, and it even seems they are trying to tell you something!
    I have 2 hens setting one is on 22 eggs, and the other is on 13!
    Last candle all the eggs has something growing inside, will be interesting if they all hatch!
    Brenda!
    PS If it seems that Momma can't handle all the ducklings, we will step in!
    We also have some sold!
    Brenda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by