muscovy ducklings pipping

afarhat8

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
this is the first time i've put muscovy duck eggs in a genesis incubator. prior to this i've always let the muscovy ducks hatch out their own broods, and they've done this successfully. this year i put about 30 eggs into the new incubator on saturday, april 13, so today is day 35. i candled them a few days ago when i took out the turner, and removed 4 that weren't good. this morning one started to pip, and now this evening there's 3 more that have started. the one that started this morning still isn't out, although it seems to have made a ring around the broad end of the egg. when do they emerge from the shell after they start pipping? i thought they would be out by today, day 35. the humidity reading is 62%, but that's not wet bulb reading, so i don't know if there's enough moisture in there or not. if this is too low, could i open the incubator to increase the water in the troughs, or would the cooler air shock the embryos? at what point should i try and help them out of the shell? any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

this is the first time i've put muscovy duck eggs in a genesis incubator. prior to this i've always let the muscovy ducks hatch out their own broods, and they've done this successfully. this year i put about 30 eggs into the new incubator on saturday, april 13, so today is day 35. i candled them a few days ago when i took out the turner, and removed 4 that weren't good. this morning one started to pip, and now this evening there's 3 more that have started. the one that started this morning still isn't out, although it seems to have made a ring around the broad end of the egg. when do they emerge from the shell after they start pipping? i thought they would be out by today, day 35. the humidity reading is 62%, but that's not wet bulb reading, so i don't know if there's enough moisture in there or not. if this is too low, could i open the incubator to increase the water in the troughs, or would the cooler air shock the embryos? at what point should i try and help them out of the shell? any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Once they start it can take up to 36 hrs from beginning to when they hatch out of the egg, if you get impatient and try to help you may make matters worse, here is a link to a thread about hatching Muscovy's hope it helps.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs

Back
Top Bottom