Muscovy ducklings taking away from hen

Muscovys

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 27, 2014
Humboldt az
How's my Muscovy hen going to react to all of her baby's getting taken away . If she gunna freak out and fly away trying to find them ? Or just be always mad in the pen for a whiell

How's my Muscovy hen going to react to all of her baby's getting taken away . If she gunna freak out and fly away trying to find them ? Or just be always mad in the pen for a whiell
I don't have much experience with Muscovy ducks but I know they are very protective and caring mothers. She probably wouldn't handle you taking them away but I doubt she'd fly away to find them. She will probably be depressed for a while.

I'm not sure if ducks like laying their eggs in the same spot or not, but there is a duck who's eggs hatched on Easter. I had watched and waited and when they hatched, a lot I noticed more and more ducks with their ducklings. About 20 were wandering around the parking lot of my apartment complex and the ditch nearby. Slowly started seeing less and less until there were no more. It took around a month till I stopped seeing them.
A duck in the same spot, with maybe 6-8 eggs, are due to hatch any day. My boyfriend told me the stray cats probably got the ducklings that we saw hatched on and around Easter. That sucks a lot. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Let nature run it's course? Take them in, even though I don't want to sadden the mama duck? Pretend they are all hiding out somewhere growing up? I've seen 3 different ducks sitting for a while and when they hatch, I'd like for them to survive. Any advantageous advice would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom