Muscovy ducks dying

dkaren

Hatching
Jul 2, 2021
6 dead Muscovy ducks. First was the hen then the drake. Then a couple days later another hen. Now followed by 3 of the babies roughly 3-4 months old. They have access to a nice size pond. They free range on 23 acres and then I also feed crack corn and meal worms on top of whatever they eat while roaming. They all look healthy but all the sudden they will seem a touch off and within 24 hours be dead. I took one inside that was still alive to wash up to leave inside to monitor but died while I was cleaning it. Just went stiff. They have clear eyes and seem to have no other obvious signs of any infection or parasite that I’ve hear of or read on. I also do have 3 to 4 other breeds of duck and none of the other breeds are having these issues. I called a place that rehabilitate birds and they couldn’t help. There is a bird illness around here “Ohio” that has been effecting birds but the wildlife person was no help and said they only deal with wild birds. Please help

I am so sorry about your ducks. It does sound like whatever is going is specific to muscovy. You could try sending your ducks in to get a necropsy and see why they died. Other than that, I really don't know. These guys may have some other suggestions.

@Isaac 0
@Miss Lydia

I'm sorry for your losses. I don't know what could be the issue unless it's nutrition. Corn isn't a balanced diet, many probably just turn their ducks out and let get all they need, but are they? I've always offered feed to mine all during daylight hrs. I think a necropsy would be a good idea.

Do you happen to notice any blue green algae in the pond? Or is there anything toxic they could have gotten into? I agree that a necropsy is your best option to find the source.
If it were me, I would lock the ducks up and isolate any sick ones until you get the results back.

http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/blue-green-algae-poisoning

The wild bird illness is in at least 10 different states and so far not affecting poultry. The symptoms you are describing aren't what is being reported.

Back
Top Bottom