Muscovy ducks good guardians?

AuberyMirkwood

Songster
8 Years
Jul 24, 2011
Clovis NM
Ok here's my question. I moved into town exactly a year ago. In the country I used a pair of Chinese geese as flock guardians. Upon maturity they entirely removed all hawk, skunk, coyote, and stray dog problems, all while being entirely docile and people friendly except for announcing when an unrecognized vehicle pulled up.

Now in the city I missed my chickens and I have a three week old bantam flock growing up now. Sooo I'm wanting a guard animal. Not a dog, goat, etc. I've heard that Muscovies are virtually silent. Would they get along with my chickens AND guard them from basic predators? I really don't have any predator problem here but it would be nice to have a back up just in case.

My Muscovy pretty much ignore the chickens and find all my mallard-types to be inferior to them. So they don't hang out with any of the other poultry, just the other Muscovy. They actually don't seem to be good guardians at all since my drakes have no interest in protecting their girls from the rooster when he's feeling bossy.

My two American ganders are very connected to my ducks and the last time a fox came into the yard the geese let out a special call and headed to their house so all the ducks boogied it up to the fenced in duckyard right behind them. The chickens were doing a good job of evading the fox with their typical bobbing and weaving when I came out to see what was going on - but they seemed to have ignored the goose warning. My Muscovy just happened to be in their house at the time because it was cold outside and they prefer to stay where it's warm.

In my experience, the Muscovy are too slow to escape predators unless you allow your girls to retain their ability to fly - the drakes will be to heavy to fly away. They also have no affinity to non-Muscovy fowl so aren't interested in spending any time with them. All that being said, the Muscovy make awesome pets and are a lot of fun to have around.

Quote:
Yep, I'm scared of my geese. I don't mess with them.
hide.gif

Quote:
The city ordinances are very liberal here. I don't have neighbors per say, I live in a "business" building on main street. It's an art gallery and I have 1/10 of an acre behind my building which I am using as a back yard. Dogs are not a problem, but I do have business owners and customers around during the day. I had chinese geese who were FAR too loud for here. Are the other breeds quieter?

Back
Top Bottom