Muscovy Ducks In Town?

Apr 16, 2018
Missouri
I am actively working on making my double lot yard in town as self-sufficient as possible. I have laying hens, rabbits, a nice garden, edible landscape plants, and a fodder growing system so far. Next I plan to add muscovy ducks.

I have chosen muscovy ducks because they are supposed to be quieter than other ducks and prefer land to water. Also, I have my chickens for eggs and I plan on letting my muscovy ducks do their natural broody thing and hatch out some meat for my freezer.

I have never had ducks before. I know absolutely nothing about ducks! What do you think the advantages and disadvantages would be of keeping muscovy ducks in town? Would I be better off getting a pair or a trio? What should I consider when building their coop? How long do they take to reach butcher weight, and how much feed does it take to get them there? What's the best thing to feed them? How much damage can I expect to my yard and garden? What other things should I be taking into consideration that I have not even thought of yet?

Thanks in advance, guys!

I am actively working on making my double lot yard in town as self-sufficient as possible. I have laying hens, rabbits, a nice garden, edible landscape plants, and a fodder growing system so far. Next I plan to add muscovy ducks.

I have chosen muscovy ducks because they are supposed to be quieter than other ducks and prefer land to water. Also, I have my chickens for eggs and I plan on letting my muscovy ducks do their natural broody thing and hatch out some meat for my freezer.

I have never had ducks before. I know absolutely nothing about ducks! What do you think the advantages and disadvantages would be of keeping muscovy ducks in town? Would I be better off getting a pair or a trio? What should I consider when building their coop? How long do they take to reach butcher weight, and how much feed does it take to get them there? What's the best thing to feed them? How much damage can I expect to my yard and garden? What other things should I be taking into consideration that I have not even thought of yet?

Thanks in advance, guys!
Remember that Muscovy Ducks can and will fly. And they like to roost (in trees) other than mallard(-derived) ducks.

Can their flight feathers be trimmed? Would roosts made of natural branches and luring them into the coop in the evening with treats work?
I never had Muscovy ducks, but yes, their flight feathers can be trimmed just like one does with chicken. And i'm sure their behavior all depends on how you raise them. If they are used to you and their house, they will gladly obey you and sleep in their house and roost on the roosts you provided them.

I would definitely start with ducklings! First it is fun to see them grow up (they grow up really fast), second if you interact a lot with the ducklings they are used to you, you become their mom and dad and they don't panic, be loud and maybe fly away any time you come to the yard. My Indian Runners do not like to be touched or picked up, but the moment i go outside they come running to look what that »humon« is doing on their property… ;)

I would definitely start with ducklings! First it is fun to see them grow up (they grow up really fast), second if you interact a lot with the ducklings they are used to you, you become their mom and dad and they don't panic, be loud and maybe fly away any time you come to the yard. My Indian Runners do not like to be touched or picked up, but the moment i go outside they come running to look what that »humon« is doing on their property… ;)
Do you know how early a muscovy duck can be sexed? If I start with little ducklings I guess maybe I could get five or six and just pick a pair or a trio after I'm able to determine what's what, then sell the extras on Craiglist.

*I will refer to Female ducks as ducks, ducks in general as ducks and Males as drakes.*

I have six muscovies. Three older ducks, one younger drake, one slightly younger duck and one more slightly younger drake.

The white and black ones are ducks and the chocolate one is a drake.
1522842-fa27221c3dacf2c9738c49d40e5453cb.jpg

This picture has all four of my older ducks. I've had The duck eating out of my hand the longest, she is what was left of my flock, referring to my chickens and the three other ducks with this one, after a predator attack. The three behind her came to me at the same time. The chocolate drake under the chair is the youngest of the three.

Notice the silver spot one the white ones head? I love that little smuge! I believe she is double pied.

Photo Editor-20181023_143649.jpg

This is the older drake. He's the size of a house! And he was still making baby noises at this point. He is now hissing.
Photo Editor-20181023_144250.jpg

This duck loves to get in this tree. You can see the drake on the blue drum trying to figure out how to get up there with her!
Photo Editor-20181122_152541.jpg

Here's my most current picture of the younger two. The chocolate one is a duck and the silver one is a drake. I'll have to get some more pictures of these two.
Photo Editor-20181031_085531.jpg

I don't have my muscovies for meat. They're just very pretty flying yard ornaments! So I can't really help you with any that. Ducks are just plain messy. Especially ducklings, so if you get ducklings make the brooder specifically for ducklings.

Look at my post here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/muscovy-owners.1272383/#post-20455620
For more on my opinion of muscovies.

Back
Top Bottom