Muscovy ducks leaving eggs 1 day at a time.

You wouldn't see any growth for that short of time. Usually they need to be properly incubated for a week before ypu can candle and see anything
so she dropped another one now there's 3 eggs & she seemed to like the pine bedding I gave her. not sure about the food yet. I got her this food.
my question is should I bring the eggs inside put them in a box & cover them lightly with a towel or no towel over them?
I'm worried they might freeze to death.
our temps for Tuesday night our temps will be Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Wind chill values as low as 22 or colder. Northwest wind 8 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 17 m

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • food.jpg
    food.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 2
I also have a big wide & tall cardboard box with the front off it. I can cover them up with the pine bedding & its tall enough for her to get under it & wide enough for her.

Honestly, if it were me, I wouldn't even let her decide to brood right now, id be taking the eggs and using them for food or just pitching them. If you want her to consider brooding, leave the eggs and just let nature happen. She might brood, she might not. Just because she's laying eggs doesn't mean she's going to hatch them.

@JacinLarkwell I think these are feral Muscovy that hang out in the members yard.
yes they are Farrel ducks. they normally run around the neighborhood or in the near by ponds there's a pond across the street behind neighbors & big pond down the road. I think they are use to people maybe they are feeding them. they didn't run away when I came out my door. I know my next-door neighbor raised 2 ducks & grew up she took them some place because they would get mad & attack at people when no one would feed them. maybe they her ducks & their family came back to visit, sometimes I use to feed them maybe they remember me is why they chose my house. =)

update on the muscovy ducks family. she no longer needs her box house. she had total of 5 eggs, but 1 didn't make it had a crack in it. she started laying eggs on january 13 & its now jan 27. she has 4 eggs now & she been coming everyday around 7/8am to do her thing & sit on them & sometimes she cover them up & sometimes she leave them un-covered & she still leaves until the next day comes back around about same times. she comes with one or more of the rest of the family. I go outside talk to all of them tell her & them good morning & tell her she a good mama, call them by their names they will come running up to me, but don't get to close, but thats okay. sometimes 2 of them will be up on the roof watching out for her & sometimes hanging around on the ground.
I think they starting to trust us now a bit better. I got them some chicken cracked food with cracked corn & sun flower seeds & stuff in it. I leave a plate full for them & water they eat it before or after mama duck is busy with her babies'. the kids around here showed me the pond where they live, so I went over to introduce myself to all the family & friends & gave them food. I contacted Fish & wild life to find out what I can do about them they said I can't relocate them or mess with their nest without a permit which is rarely given out. I contacted my HOA let them know what they said & sent them pics of them, so they don't bother me about them. Guess I might be a grandma to a family of duck's. I don't know what she going to do when they hatch or around that time since she leaves every day.

I try to make her feel safe & introduce her & her family to my family, so she knows we will not harm them & don't bother them or her.

In a way her nest is pretty smart since I have cement edging all around the flower bed her babies can't go to far from her. Kinda like a little nursery area for them.

I found out all their names that the kids gave them. mama duck is cookie dough, in in the other pick from left to right is big oreo i think he the daddy duck her bigger & talks a lot has a lower voice, xbox in middle because he/she has 2 white lines on his wings, oreo jr.

Attachments

• 4eggs.jpg
    4eggs.jpg
    925.4 KB · Views: 2
  • cookie dough.jpg
    cookie dough.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 2
  • duck family.jpg
    duck family.jpg
    875 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom