Muscovy ducks murdering each other.

Try some animal protein. Cat food, fish, etc. Muscovy ducks need more animal protein than other ducks. They would normally get it by eating fish, frogs, bugs, etc. If they are not getting enough, then sometimes the cat food will help. That said, I am not an expert and except for some feather picking have not had this problem. Some cat food did help the feather picking. Another clue to needing more protein is if they pick up feathers that are laying on the ground and eat them.

I think it might be a good idea to try to add something to their nutrition like others have suggested. Sometimes, also, being malnourished or having a nutritional imbalance can affect their behavior, too. I hope it helps!

They sure arent being starved i give them the other ducks and chickens cracked corn every day they also eat a bunch of weeds.

the runner ducks dont fiight the chickens dont fight not even the roosters . Only the muscovys scrap. i do remember the lady whom I bought most them from saying that id only want to keep one male once i figured out the genders as she had trouble with them fighting.

Cracked corn is the worst diet for a duck. It is like you eating sugar or candy all day. Duck on cracked corn get malnourished of the all essentials they need. They do get fat, but that is about it. Oyster shell has only calcium for the girls, no protein at all. It does cause health issues in the drakes. You need to get them some good feed that has 16-17% protein in it and is un-medicated. A grower/developer mix should be what you need.
http://blog.metzerfarms.com/blog/bid/28153/Mixing-Your-Own-Duck-Feed-and-Goose-Feed
http://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm
Protein content of various feeds:

INGREDIENT CRUDE PROTEIN
Corn 7.5
Wheat, Hard 13.5
Wheat, Soft 10.8
Barley 11.5
Milo-Sorghum 11.0
Oats 11.0
Triticale 12.5
Millet, Pearl 12.0

**Source: 2009 "Feedstuffs" Reference & Buyers' Guide

Last edited:
Well i tried to feed them some wheat and oats and they didnt like it theyd eat all of the corn and leave the rest sitting there. But i guess its like a little kid if hes knows theres a bag of candy hell eat all of that before he touches the spinich.

Malnutrition is why they are picking and attacking. Besides being very low in protien (about 9%), a straight corn diet will be lacking in LOTS Of nutrients. Deficiencies, breeding problems, and growth issues are likely. Getting the mix made with a mineral mix, and/or supplementing with a vitamin/mineral/electrolyte mix such as Vi-Tal is VERY important for all diets but pre-bagged 'name brand' balanced diets - especially if you have limited or no free range time. Corn is the worst feed to straight feed poultry, or any animal IMO. It is only used sparingly in any animal's diets around here. I usually up the corn content of diets in winter SLIGHTLY, when the quick calorie souce helps keep the animals warm.

If the price of feed is making you switch to cheaper options, try getting a custom mix made. Our custom mix is an 18+% (guaranteed at least 18%, feed mill estimated more like 20%), and is about 7.40 per bag, depending on current grain prices. At feed mills that do custom mixes, you must buy it by the quarter, half, 3/4, or full ton. I feed the same 18% mix to all birds, start to finish - except broiler chickens and turkeys. We get our mix ground completely. It is a mix of soybeans, oats, corn, alfalfa meal, a mineral mix. All ground finely so they can't pick any certain parts out. It's also mixed with a little Cocosoya to keep it from being too dry (you could also use a little molasses or corn oil, but watch the fat content!). Before when I had whole oats and corn mixed into the feed mix instead of grinding it all, they DID pick out the corn and oats, leaving most of the powder behind. Since I've switched, they can't be picky and are forced to eat the whole mix impartially.

You will still need oyster shell on the side, as it is a calcium source for the ducks/chickens. I don't put calcium into the feed mix because it's bad for the male animals, but females can still get as much as they want as needed.

If you would like, I can give you my exact feed mix so you have something to start with at least.

That's for sure they do have a sweet tooth. You should see mine going nuts over watermelon and peas. Give them the better food they will eat it when they get hungry. You may want to give them some dry cat food right now, since it has about 20% protein that should get them started on protein. I wonder if they lady that sold you ducks had issues because she may have not feed them the right stuff either. I have never seen ducks going for murder, so this is a little bit out of my range. Nutrition may be the answer and you will know once they eat better. Regardless you will have a healthier flock with proper diet.

Back
Top Bottom