Muscovy Ducks won’t use winter shelter

bomersgirl

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 11, 2014
Hello everyone , We have 8 Muscovy Ducks 6 of which were born right here on our farm they are doing awesome except they will not use their shelter at all !!! We built two very good sized duck huts right down by their pond they will not go in them and my fear is they won’t survive the cold temps here in Upstate Ny and of course we have already had some VERY cold nights here with strong winds temps down to -6 and it’s only November by Jan/ Feb that’s going to be the norm during the day !!! We have tried everything!!! I woke the other day to frost on them and was so worried !! Today it’s warm but it will be getting cold again can anyone tell me wil they survive this cold without going into shelter or give me tips to get them in there !!! We tried leaving heat lamp on then off not putting a door on because I know they don’t like to be confined!! Also tried putting food in the hut then no food treats ect ...HELP over concerned Duck mom

What do these huts look like? Muscovy like to roost at night, especially in winter. They will sleep on the ground in warmer weather, but prefer roosting in winter. It's also safer. Muscovy don't need to be on a pond all winter and do well with pans of water.

I realize that upstate NY isn't Texas (though I lived in PA for 8 years, so understand cold) but we had a few days where it was in the lower 30s over night here in San Antonio, and then had some 40 degree days. Our Muscovies wouldn't touch our shelter/house/roost either. We even created some lean-to areas for wind break. They slept at our backdoor. In the day, they hung out under a bush... and not even huddled! I pretty much learned on here that if they seriously want to be sheltered, they will be sheltered, but on their own terms. So, we provide several options for them to enjoy, and if they want them, they will take them.

We are actually looking to buy some hay bales for perching, shelter and recreation, since two of our Muscovies love to jump on things. We will see. Just keep providing what they could need, and when they need it, they will use it.

I don't have muscovies, but mine really don't use the shelter I built them either.

Well they go in to humor me and come right back out...lol

Literally a 5 second turn around here..it's like a thank you but no thank you.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ducks really don't know what's best for them, of course they would rather sleep outside over night but that isn't the best situation for them when predators are on the look out for dinner. Or temps are plunging and winds are howling, So working on getting them inside before dark is the best system. Try walking behind them with your arms open wide and walking slow it's called herding and they get the idea pretty quick and hopefully your two huts have doors so you can lock them in safe and good ventilation so the extra moisture they produce will have a way to escape. My Muscovy's love to roost in summer but once it starts getting cold they like to snuggle down into the pine shaving on the floor. Once you start herding them you might want to get someone to help you till they understand what your asking of them, I would def be worried about frost bite on their faces living in upstate NY here in NC mountains I have had 2 of my Muscovy's get frost bite on the knobs on their faces. It heals but makes the skin very thin and easy to break open.

Let us know if you try herding and how it goes. :fl

Well mine are now in the bathroom. We had a wicked snow storm and I lost the run to a tree branch. I have no electric and I have no way to get the ducks water. How long can they go without water?

image.jpg
image.jpg

Ducks really don't know what's best for them
Or do we just think we know better than ducks? :p
Just playing devil's advocate.
I agree with herding them to their shelter and locking them in as I wouldn't want a predator to get an easy night time meal.

Well mine are now in the bathroom. We had a wicked snow storm and I lost the run to a tree branch. I have no electric and I have no way to get the ducks water. How long can they go without water?

View attachment 1600163 View attachment 1600165
They can't have water inside?
As long as they have no food, they don't need water, but that should only be temporary.

Back
Top Bottom