Muscovy dux for meat thread

Have plucked a few ducks and geese... Dry plucked right after death while warm it is pretty easy ..if they get cold then you'd need the whole boiling water, dunking thing. I went to skinning if I have to do one and just fileting out the meat...

We scald and use our Yardbird plucker then duck wax to make it pretty. Sounds like a lot of work but we have it down to a science. Plucker worked great. It removed about 95% of the feathers. Timing is critical with ducks and geese.

Welp... Looks like it will be a thanksgiving single-serve meal with these ducks... The drakes are at 3.5 pounds. Free range, fed in the mornings, access to an acre of grass and trees, yet they didn't pass the 4 pound mark. Anyone got a good recipe for the ducky equivalent of cornish game hen?

I am very slow at plucking muscovies. The last one I processed was also slow, because it had lots of pin feathers. However, a lot of its body feathers were easy to dry pluck. The drake who raided my vegetable garden today, thereby volunteering to be part of the holiday food, wouldn't dry pluck at all. I had to scald from the start, whereas I normally get most of the feathers off first. Hardly any pin feathers, though. I am interested in any fast plucking methods anyone knows for muscovies. I use the feathers, so methods which destroy them are out.

Do muscovies have much meat other than the breast? I've seen lots of duck hunting videos and usually, ducks don't have much or any meat on their legs and wings.

Back
Top Bottom