Muscovy egg died before internal pipping. What do I do with the others? HELP NEEDED

HuskyTemple

Hatching
Jun 9, 2021
I have 11 Muscovy eggs that I am incubating. I had gotten them out from under my neighbor's duck when they were almost ready to hatch because she didn't want any more ducks. They were all doing well and yesterday when I candled them I saw they were starting to push at the membrane. One of them was not pushing as much, and seemed lethargic compared to the others. I ended up opening the shell a little at the air sack to see if it had any of the amber-ish stuff people had talked about. There was none but by that time the duck was only opening its beak a little every minute or so and was very weak. It ended up dying a hour or so later. I thought about trying to internally pip for the duck but there were too many blood vessels I think. Right now one of my other eggs is slowing down just like the one that died did. I'm not sure if what I did hurt the other egg but i didn't think it would effect it too much. I can't decide if i should leave it and hope it doesn't die or if i should make a small hole and see if there are too many blood vessels to help it internally pip so it can get some oxygen. I can't seem to find any websites where people talk about this besides one person who always opened her Muscovy eggs at this point just to monitor them, after she had a lot of deaths. So far none of the eggs have internally pipped but they are all pushing at the membrane. I thought they would have broken through by now but they haven't. Is the membrane too dry? It seems they are absorbing the blood and yoke because the air sack is still growing. This is my first time hatching Muscovy eggs and i don't know the exact day they are on. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? I'm at a loss here and need some help.

I decided not to do anything to the egg and its still alive, although slower than the others. Three have internally pipped and I am stressing less. How long should it take for them to hatch after internal pipping?

How's the hatch progressing?

If you haven't already read it, you may find this article on incubating Muscovy eggs helpful. And this guide to assisted hatching may come in handy, too.

I've incubated quite a few Muscovy eggs, and have also allowed broodies hatch a couple of clutches. Waterfowl eggs often take longer to hatch after pipping - 24 hours isn't unusual, and sometimes even longer. I keep the humidity high (around 70%) after the first external pip to facilitate hatching. Best of luck!

All but one have externally pipped. The one who pipped first hasn't started zipping yet, should I be worried? its been around 2 and 1/5 days since it internally pipped I think.

Back
Top Bottom