Muscovy egg production

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aPrimitive, Jan 14, 2014.

1. aPrimitive

aPrimitive Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2013
    How are Muscovy for primary egg use? Are they enough to supply for a family like chickens do?

2. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    Based on my research, you will get about an egg each day from spring through autumn with muscovies, and then nothing during the winter.

1 person likes this.
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

In the summer mine laid eggs well, BUT, I couldn't eat any! The duck was enormously sad that I stole her eggs. She wasn't happy when I gave her fake eggs.

So.......I gave up and let her go broody.

My chickens are increasing egg production now, but not my Muscovy. My two ducks that didn't go broody at the end of the summer, have laid a total of five eggs, from about September until today. The one duck that did go broody, is still with her ducklings...so no eggs from her.

My chickens have been giving me lots of eggs. The leghorns lay almost every single day, through all of my nasty weather and in a dark shed with no added light. The Golden Comet Hybrids and my Production Reds have been laying maybe once every third day, but are now increasing their production.

Muscovy are much cleaner and easier to care for than other ducks, but they are really known for their meat, not their egg production.

4. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i have my scovy and mallards but i dont use them for meat i use them for baby duckling and the scovy will go broody easy and hatch out alot of ducklings my friend hatched out 15 then 16 from two moms cant wait i m going to let all my girls go broody if they want

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by