Muscovy eggs at different stages of development

PiedMuscovies

Hatching
May 6, 2015
Hi there, I've got a female Muscovy who is sitting on eggs that are in different stages of development. She has continued laying after starting to incubate. After candling recently, some look like they are about 17 days into development, and a few look like they are about 10 days into development. I'm concerned she'll hatch the first set and abandon the rest of the clutch when she leaves. I'm thinking I should take the newer eggs and incubate them myself. Plus take the egg she lays each day so she'll just set on her 'originals'. Any suggestions?

i think its going to be okay
smile.png
Muscovies, in my opinion, are the best mothers in the duck world. They will sit on eggs till all (or most) hatch, they don't usually abandon a nest unless they sit on it for maybe 4 months at that point they're done, its usually best if u ghave to broody females, one would take care of the babies and the other would sit on the eggs, and they would probably shift positions from time to time, that is if the females get along (like if they were sisters that have the same male)

Hi there, I've got a female Muscovy who is sitting on eggs that are in different stages of development. She has continued laying after starting to incubate. After candling recently, some look like they are about 17 days into development, and a few look like they are about 10 days into development. I'm concerned she'll hatch the first set and abandon the rest of the clutch when she leaves. I'm thinking I should take the newer eggs and incubate them myself. Plus take the egg she lays each day so she'll just set on her 'originals'. Any suggestions?

If you take the egg she lays each day, she'll continue to lay until there's a clutch enough for her. Allow her to sit on what she can handle.

Last edited:
do you have other muscovy females that could have laid in the nest? If some duckling do hatch early you can just take them away and she'll continue setting most likely I've done tht with mine.
i think its going to be okay :)  Muscovies, in my opinion, are the best mothers in the duck world. They will sit on eggs till all (or most) hatch, they don't usually abandon a nest unless they sit on it for maybe 4 months at that point they're done, its usually best if u ghave to broody females, one would take care of the babies and the other would sit on the eggs, and they would probably shift positions from time to time, that is if the females get along (like if they were sisters that have the same male)
When you say they will set for 4 months do you mean that you have taken eggs and put new ones under over a series of 4 months? Mine have never gone that long ona nest I wouldn't let them they already get so skinny after the 35. The only birds I know about that can last that long are hornbills. But of they can manage being broody for that long it sounds like they are some good birds

She's the only female I have, so I know they're all hers... I like the idea of leaving them alone until the very last minute, so I will probably go that route. Thank you for all the suggestions, it really keeps my options open!

She's the only female I have, so I know they're all hers... I like the idea of leaving them alone until the very last minute, so I will probably go that route. Thank you for all the suggestions, it really keeps my options open!
No problem plus it's very possible that thy just look t different stages they will probobly all hatch on the same day if they are all her and started incubation on the same day

do you have other muscovy females that could have laid in the nest? If some duckling do hatch early you can just take them away and she'll continue setting most likely I've done tht with mine.
When you say they will set for 4 months do you mean that you have taken eggs and put new ones under over a series of 4 months? Mine have never gone that long ona nest I wouldn't let them they already get so skinny after the 35. The only birds I know about that can last that long are hornbills. But of they can manage being broody for that long it sounds like they are some good birds
yes i meant put more eggs under them, and no i was referring to their mothering as so strong that they could stay on a nest for four months, i wouldn't let mine stay that long either

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom