Muscovy flew away!!

Do you live near water? farms? Busy roads? I'd notify neighbors to let you know if they see her! This is an out there suggestion buuuuut, my ducks come running to each others sounds (typically the male "come here" sound and the girl "oooo I found something good to eat" squeals), so you could try either keeping some (who won't fly away) near where she left hoping she'll hear the sounds, or you grab a speaker--and hear me out--hook your phone up to it and play muscovy call sounds, either from YouTube or ones that you recorded yourself. You could try that, putting it near the place she took off for the day and hopefully she'll hear it and come home.

Other than that, you could let your local police/fire department know you're on the lookout for a duck as she might turn up somewhere funny in town!

I hope she comes back!!! :hugs

Do you live near water? farms? Busy roads? I'd notify neighbors to let you know if they see her! This is an out there suggestion buuuuut, my ducks come running to each others sounds (typically the male "come here" sound and the girl "oooo I found something good to eat" squeals), so you could try either keeping some (who won't fly away) near where she left hoping she'll hear the sounds, or you grab a speaker--and hear me out--hook your phone up to it and play muscovy call sounds, either from YouTube or ones that you recorded yourself. You could try that, putting it near the place she took off for the day and hopefully she'll hear it and come home.

Other than that, you could let your local police/fire department know you're on the lookout for a duck as she might turn up somewhere funny in town!

I hope she comes back!!! :hugs
Thank you so much for the advise. I never thought to play sounds. My ducks are generally quiet, but yesterday one of the males was verbally distressed about the flight of his sister. I have let all my neighbors know. There are creeks and small ponds throughout our town. I was hoping she stayed on our farm which has two ponds where mama and papa live, and creeks throughout. Hoping she will miss home. I really didn't think she had the strength to actually fly away. Amazing! The best teacher is experience.

Did you actually see her fly off?
Mine have never flown much at all. The farthest I've seen them is just briefly across the yard or up and over a fence. Most of their flight is just hanging in the air and gliding.

I didnā€™t realize they fly that well! I have two Muscovy babies. Iā€™m going to keep an eye on them now! I hope you find yours soon
Don't clip wings until flight feathers are fully grown in and you don't see any blood left in the quills.

I had one of my young drakes being bullied by his dad and he flew out and down towards the river. Oh my gosh I just knew that was where he was but he landed just short of it. I was able to walk down and behind him and walk him home He got his flight feathers clipped after that.
Have you been to all the ponds and waterways around you. Most likely she didn't go far. take some mealworms or whatever her fav treat is whole corn would be a good one because you could put it in a container and shake the dickens out of it as you call her. I taught mine at an early age to come to the rattle of the treat can and my whistle which is always the same.

Thanks! I wonā€™t. I hadnā€™t planned to clip at all, the farm I got them from said they have never had any fly away and they are in fairly low fencing. Do most people clip their Muscovy wings?
You may have to, I know some don't and some do, I am in the do category.

Back
Top Bottom