Muscovy gender?

wynneg

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2016
Texas
I've checked online to try to determine whether I have a muscovy drake or a hen, but I can't seem to find anything that doesn't compare the two. I've seen that the muscovy drake tends to get their wing feathers AFTER the female, but I don't have a female muscovy to compare to. Same with the big feet/little feet thing. I was hoping I had a hen, but she/he is huge and primarily makes hissing noises, so I'm thinking drake. Opinions?

welcome-byc.gif
Huge and hissing sounds suspiciously like a drake.

Well, for whatever reason, I can't get a picture loaded, I've tried twice. I have a few other breeds of duck, but this is my first muscovy so I figured I'd get some opinions! :) I had also read that they differ in their face, drakes tend to have more prominent caruncle than the females, and mine is minimal compared to pictures of muscovy online.

Caruncle development is age and strain development. As drakes mature their caruncles grow. Also some strains have more caruncling? than others.

Ah, I did not know that. I was given this duck when one of our others was taken and killed by a hawk :( so I'm pretty new when it comes to muscovy. I made his/his picture my avatar, not sure if you're able to enlarge it or not to see. Thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom