Muscovy Genetics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BirdBrain, Nov 30, 2010.

1. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Is there a muscovy genetics primer some where? I am trying to figure out what my crew will end up with. I have a blue drake and what I was pretty sure was a chocolate drake, but he continued to get darker and darker. He is almost deep purple black. He doesn't fit his name much any more...Cocoa. The 3 hens are blue, buff? and one that I can't tell if she is more buff or brown pied. Do I sound confused? I am.

I am assuming that if I breed the two blues I'll end up with the typical blue genetics percentages. The other drake is low man on the totem pole so I don't know what his chances are of siring anything. He is not supposed to be black as I ordered an assortment that did not include black. He was completely brown as a duckling. I guess I am just wondering what I could end up with for colors. Anyone want to take a stab at this?

2. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Can you post a pic of the drake in ? Blue X Blue = 25% Black, 50% Blue and 25% Silver(2 copies of the blue gene)

3. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
  4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:x2

5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Thanks. I will try to get pictures tomorrow. It is already dark here and the sun doesn't come up until mid morning. I'll see what I can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by