Muscovy hatched chicks!

nataliegrinks

Songster
6 Years
Feb 10, 2017
Hey everyone! My Muscovy has been sitting on feggs for a while. As you know hens are sneaky and have apparently been laying eggs there since she just hatched some chicks today!
What do I do? Take them away? Take the feggs away? I’ve heard she will take them swimming and that won’t be good. I have a couple water bowls out that are shallow but I don’t think a chick could get out of at least one of them.
If anyone has any experience with this please let me know. Thank you!

Is she sitting on fertile duck eggs, too? If so, those have two weeks to go. When mine hatch chicken chicks like this, I take the chicks, put them in a brooder, and let the hen finish incubating her duck eggs.
She is sitting on fake duck eggs. Should I try to remove those?

She’s going to need those eggs removed or she’ll keep sitting. Put chicks water out for the chicks and give mama duck a waterer sitting up high enough the chicks can’t get to it, but there still isn’t a guarantee they won’t be able to get into it and drawn. Best thing would be to brood them yourself. Keep swimming water away from mama duck and chicks a too.

She’s going to need those eggs removed or she’ll keep sitting. Put chicks water out for the chicks and give mama duck a waterer sitting up high enough the chicks can’t get to it, but there still isn’t a guarantee they won’t be able to get into it and drawn. Best thing would be to brood them yourself. Keep swimming water away from mama duck and chicks a too.
Yeah, so far there is only one. I found a not alive one the morning I found she had chicks, but have no idea what happened. No where near the mom. I have taken all the fake eggs away and there is only one chick with her. If that chick is still with her and she hasn’t moved or looked like the chick has been eating, I will take the chick later today. Today would be day three and the chick will need to eat.

Back
Top Bottom