Muscovy (JM Hatchery) Grow Out Journal

crperdue

Songster
11 Years
Oct 30, 2008
Lake Waccamaw, NC
I got my ducklings this morning. The PO called and said I had a box that was chirping and please come get it!

This is what I got:

17846_img_0096.jpg

I ordered 25 ducklings and all arrived in great shape. They were VERY active and tried to climb out of the box as soon as I opened it.
It took two days to get them to me so the hatchery told me to expect some deaths. They only guarantee the ducks if you can get them
in one day so I had to take my chances. It worked out well as these are the most energetic and active babies I have ever gotten in the
mail, either chicken or duck.

Here is a shot to give you some scale:

17846_img_0109.jpg

I got them into the brooder and made each one drink some water. They began to drink and eat within the first five minutes. Im using a
very large plastic tub for the brooder for the first week or so.

17846_img_0110.jpg

I will let them get hydrated during the day and settle in. This afternoon I will pinion them and weigh them. I will be keeping account of
food consumption and weight of the ducks on a weekly basis as well as posting pics.

I would like to say that I am really pleased with J.M. Hatchery. Joel called me about an hour after I got the ducks to see that everything
was fine. Really top-notch service and the ducks look great. My cost plus shipping for 25 ducks was $190.

Last edited:
I have raised a few muscovy. Put 26 in the freezer last month.

I process the same as chickens, and use a utility knife with a new blade.

I raised my birds free range with a mother duck. THe feed was 22% protein and they could eat bugs and worms, and grass at will.

I have 2 more groups now and am considering using 27% grain to get them to butcher weight a little faster as the natural protiens like bugs and worms are fast disappearing as the cold sets in.

IMO stick with the higher percent protein as the birds will use it. I have never used the grower finishers. THat is for when growth rates plateau and is the only feed. THere might be some waste of protein with t he 20% but on the other hand you will maximize the growth.

I dont put on a lot of fat on my birds purposely. Some are fatter than others because some are piggier. But I dont purposely make them fat. I came to this conclusion after buying ( a stupid move) a run down turkey hen and once realizing her state culled her within an hour of arriving home. SHe was emaciated. ANd still cooked up with enough fat to make a nice gravy. Since that experience, I dont push for fat birds. I do like to eat fat but dont want to waste the feed on making fat when I cherish the meat.

the first time processing is a real challenge. You will find your way with more practise!!!. CHeck out the thread on support during processing. THey are there to help.

Awesome! Glad to see another satisfied customer of JM hatchery! Joel is doing some great things when it comes to his meat ducks and chickens!
thumbsup.gif

I recieved these ducks Thursday morning and got them settled in. They were doing great when I left for work.
I rushed home from work that afternoon to check on them.

Over half of the ducks had died. A few others were acting odd, shaking their head like a seizure or something.
Those died shortly. In all 16 of the 25 died within 12 hours of me receiving them.

I checked EVERYTHING. The heat was fine. They had water and I had made each of them drink as I unboxed them.
They had food and had been eating. I was stumped.

I emailed Joel Martin at J.M. hatchery. He responded back within just a few minutes. This is the response:

"I suspect it was from the extra day in shipping, they were supposed to be there next day and it took them two days.
Muscovy ducklings do not do well if it takes two days which is why we insist on next day shipping. Unfortunately the
Postal Service dropped the ball this time. Let me know how many you lost and how you want to be reimbursed."

So It seems that the stress of the extra day caught up to some of these little guys. I knew that could happen with these
ducks, I just thought that if they arrived alive they would be ok. I guess you have to get past the first 12 hours or so
to be sure.

The remaining 9 have been doing great and eating up a storm. They are very active. If I can keep my little girls away from
them they should be fine. They are too cute for their own good it seems.

I really want some of these ducks but my god that is insane for 25 ducks. I bought 180 assorted from Ideal for $1.60 a duckling.... I'm going to have to bite the bullet though sooner or later. Will definitely be watching your thread, I can already tell that they are a lot bigger than the most ducks.

ETA: Just read your other post... 16 out of 25 died? Wow.... maybe that is why most hatcheries do not offer Muscovies? At least he made it right with you.

Good luck....

Last edited:
$6.00 a duck is a little steep though. Will they breed true? If that's the case than it's an investment and not a yearly cost.

Back
Top Bottom