Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Did you try the FR in pellets? my flock has always eaten FR but I buy the crumble and moisten it with ACV and warm water. Not sure what else is out there unless you can get duck feed. a lot of folks swear by Mazuri. and as for not getting in the pool, hum mine love the pool especially when I first put fresh water in they stand in line to see who can get in and poop in it first LOL but I will say my ducks more than the drakes get in and splash around,.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Personally i'd skip the grating, can you get some shavings? usually farm supplies sell them in what is called a bale and they are pretty reasonable that way. Ducks are messy, so daily cleaning of a brooder is best.

Food wise, most growers say after 4wks, so it would depend on what you have access too, honestly my entire flock is still on a crumble but it's a grower with 16% protein, they all eat it fine.. the youngest for Muscovy is turning 2mths and then go into years.

I am sure grasses do, mine clip grass all the time(they tear it off like in a grazing fashion), that said my scovies all free range so they get a variety of things, bugs, worms, grasses and so forth. It is good for them to forage, it's a totally natural duck thing to do, they love to drill in the mud too. Pour some water in a muddy spot and you'll see it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    So cute! can he get in/out okay? if he's gotten stuck he may be afraid to go in again. A log, cement block on the outside can be very helpful for young ones.

As for food? depends on what you can get, call around.. i have mine still on a crumble because it's reads better than the stuff i can get that is pelleted. Food is varied, definitely read tags and don't forget to call manufactures to see where something maybe available, around here most growers are from 4wks(28days) or so.

4. Roscoe Mandella

Roscoe Mandella Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mama and her babies.

5. Miss Lydia

Lovely, and I don't know how I missed it but I just read that your ducklings are a cross of Scovy/ Swedish. This will really be interesting to see how these ducklings color up and look. Exciting.

6. Roscoe Mandella

Mar 30, 2012
    It sure is exciting! I can't wait to see what they look like!

7. Miss Lydia

You do know that these ducklings will be sterile? the ducks will lay eggs but they won't be able to reproduce, wouldn't matter to me at all but didn't know if you knew this?

8. Roscoe Mandella

Mar 30, 2012
    Yes, I know that they will be sterile! I don't mind! I only have my ducks for enjoyment!

9. Miss Lydia

Me too, actually I'd like it if mine never produced another duckling, well at least for a while anyway. [I think Muscovy's would love to take over the world, one duckling at a time] I love ducklings and love watching mams and their charges, but absolutely hate to have to go though the broody stuff with them, when they brood and it comes to nothing because I am out of room for more ducks. I have 4 right now that won't give up for nothing and none can have any eggs. [​IMG]

10. muskuslove

muskuslove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    Hi ya`ll !!
    Roscoe Mandella, i look forward to see them color up!!
    In the mean time... yes yes... i took some pictures this morning :)

My sweet drake and his girls were foraging across my house
    [​IMG]
    Li`ll closer
    [​IMG]

My sweeties
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yesterday it was raining. I looked out of my window and this is what i saw..:)
    [​IMG]

And then i cought them doing this...
    [​IMG]

I just love them...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by