Muscovy keepers share your pics!

he wont get in the kiddy pool anymore any idea why this might be?
also, im not sure what to feed him now hes only about 2 or 3 months old and ive fed him flock raiser which he didnt seem to like to much it was too powdery now i feed him dumor starter/grower but it stinks so id like to get something else and he likes the pellets but all the pellet food in my area says to not feed to ducks under 18 weeks old. anyone know of any good pellet food for young ducks?
Did you try the FR in pellets? my flock has always eaten FR but I buy the crumble and moisten it with ACV and warm water. Not sure what else is out there unless you can get duck feed. a lot of folks swear by Mazuri. and as for not getting in the pool, hum mine love the pool especially when I first put fresh water in they stand in line to see who can get in and poop in it first LOL but I will say my ducks more than the drakes get in and splash around,.

Last edited:
I asked this in a separate thread a couple days ago, and got no response. So I'm try to ask here...

should his sleeping quarters have a grate on the bottom? I am worried about hurting his feet, but every morning, he is sooo nasty cause he poops and lays right in it. I fill up his pool every morning so he can bathe and he keeps out of the poo pretty well during the day. He has a 2 ft by 4 ft box he sleeps in, (till I build his house outside) and he always sleeps and poos in the same corner.

Also, when do I change him to bigger pieces of food? He is a little over a month old and still working on the bag of starter I bought, but it seems like the crumbles are too small now? He eats it but he kinda coughs while eating it until he gets a drink, I do have a little bucket of water in there and don't feed him without his drink.

Does grass have some nutrient he needs? When I let him out in the yard, I watch him due to the neighborhood dogs, and as soon as he gets the chance, he eats a lot of grass and other plants from the lawn. DH weed whacked the other day and Duckie had a virtual buffet chowing down on all the clippings on the driveway lol. Is it something they normally munch on, or is it just because its easier for him to eat than the crumbles?

Thanks.

Personally i'd skip the grating, can you get some shavings? usually farm supplies sell them in what is called a bale and they are pretty reasonable that way. Ducks are messy, so daily cleaning of a brooder is best.

Food wise, most growers say after 4wks, so it would depend on what you have access too, honestly my entire flock is still on a crumble but it's a grower with 16% protein, they all eat it fine.. the youngest for Muscovy is turning 2mths and then go into years.

I am sure grasses do, mine clip grass all the time(they tear it off like in a grazing fashion), that said my scovies all free range so they get a variety of things, bugs, worms, grasses and so forth. It is good for them to forage, it's a totally natural duck thing to do, they love to drill in the mud too. Pour some water in a muddy spot and you'll see it.

Last edited:

he wont get in the kiddy pool anymore any idea why this might be?
also, im not sure what to feed him now hes only about 2 or 3 months old and ive fed him flock raiser which he didnt seem to like to much it was too powdery now i feed him dumor starter/grower but it stinks so id like to get something else and he likes the pellets but all the pellet food in my area says to not feed to ducks under 18 weeks old. anyone know of any good pellet food for young ducks?

So cute! can he get in/out okay? if he's gotten stuck he may be afraid to go in again. A log, cement block on the outside can be very helpful for young ones.

As for food? depends on what you can get, call around.. i have mine still on a crumble because it's reads better than the stuff i can get that is pelleted. Food is varied, definitely read tags and don't forget to call manufactures to see where something maybe available, around here most growers are from 4wks(28days) or so.

Mama and her babies.

You do know that these ducklings will be sterile? the ducks will lay eggs but they won't be able to reproduce, wouldn't matter to me at all but didn't know if you knew this?

Yes, I know that they will be sterile! I don't mind! I only have my ducks for enjoyment!

Yes, I know that they will be sterile! I don't mind! I only have my ducks for enjoyment!
Me too, actually I'd like it if mine never produced another duckling, well at least for a while anyway. [I think Muscovy's would love to take over the world, one duckling at a time] I love ducklings and love watching mams and their charges, but absolutely hate to have to go though the broody stuff with them, when they brood and it comes to nothing because I am out of room for more ducks. I have 4 right now that won't give up for nothing and none can have any eggs.
sad.png

Hi ya`ll !!
Roscoe Mandella, i look forward to see them color up!!
In the mean time... yes yes... i took some pictures this morning :)

My sweet drake and his girls were foraging across my house

Li`ll closer

My sweeties

And yesterday it was raining. I looked out of my window and this is what i saw..:)

And then i cought them doing this...

I just love them...
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom