Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Couple scovy questions..
1. Can my now five month old drake fertilize eggs from eight females i left him with? others and about year and half drake getting mean to each other and hens, this one more sensitive and just starting to get pecking at them from being cooped up.

2. The two older females i traded for finally eating and drinking out of pails and clean, but they are still sorta bullying my scovys, especially my young males by the one new of two (thought was drake but coughed up an old golf ball or something and now quacks ect instead of off coughing sound made since i got). Should i try to pen them with older drake alone?
The bullying is all part of working out where they all fit in the pecking order. Hopefully it will end soon, as long as no one is getting hurt I'd just let them work it out. As for fertility not sureI know they can mate but not sure when they can fertilize might take them a month before that happens you might find some info on line but best way is to open some eggs and look for the bulls eye.
Drakes will fight and even kill each other, so watch your boys closely and also the ducks too many drakes can really cause harm to the ducks by over mating and stressing them which can cause egg laying trouble.
Glad to hear your 2 new girls have begun to eat and clean themselves up, what is this about coughing up a golf ball?

Two quick questions. How old are muscovies when they start laying? Also is there any way to judge age on a bird? I have 5 that are 8-9 months old I got as babies. Then I picked up 2 more adults last month that I have no idea how old they are.

Mine usually start any where from 7-9 months. and if you can post a recent pic we maybe able to help give you an idea of age or close to it. How do the compare to your 8-9 month olds in size and carnucling ?

The white pair are smaller than my original black ones but have larger carnucling. Also they act more dominate/mature, immediately both took lead positions in the flock with out to much fussing. The old lead pair just gave up. I'll try to get some picks later today.

Back
Top Bottom