Muscovy Questions

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
Well I just went out to check on my chicken eggs and the one muscovy that is around 5 months old was up in one of the nest boxes pulling shavings from the other boxes next to it.

I don't have a male so I know that if it is laying eggs it won't be fertile. I am in cold IA. I thought that muscovies only layed eggs a few times of the year. I wouldn't think this would be the time of the year is it?

Does anyone have a picture of a muscovy egg? I sell my chicken eggs and I need to be able to tell the difference between them.

This is all new to me with this duck.

my muskovy was born in late May and just started laying this past Sunday....weird - cold weather - less day light - she shouldn't be laying but is....I know it's her because I locked her in a house by herself 3 nights ago and got up to an egg!!

This is their normal laying time. My Muscovies just came off rest and have started laying. I have a Drake so they are making a large nest and taking turns filling it and quarding it. Nest is not large enough yet to set it.

So yes, yours sounds like it will be laying soon. The cool weather seems to bring them into lay. They like having a clutch when it is cold, less predators and they are large enough to stave them off. Food and water being available, there is no need to wait till Spring.

They will lay 30-40 eggs then take a break, over and over. They set their own seasons, unlike ducks. Must remember, Muscovies are Muscovies, their own species. They are similar to ducks is all.

Thanks for the question I was wondering the same thing I have 2 females born this May acting strange, but my male is only 9 weeks old. Also females faces are getting really red for the first time. I will have to watch this post. Please let me know if she lays
pop.gif

I just don't know for sure what their eggs look like. I have BSL, Orps, and BA chickens and have varying shades of browns for colors. There have been a few lighter colored ones too. Are they bigger than chicken eggs?

I haven't had muscovie eggs but would think they they would be the same as duck eggs. which are a little richer in taste than chicken eggs.. I have Welsh Harlequin ducks and one crested pekin duck.. I use my duck eggs for baking, omelettes, pancakes, waffles etc.

Back
Top Bottom