1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mushroom ID help

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by NanaKat, May 8, 2009.

1. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I think I have found a cluster of "Chicken of the woods" that normally doesn't grow in the spring.

I'm posting pictures because I want to know if it is that variety for sure.

My mushroom ID book shows a photo of Laetiporus Sulphureus which grows on deadwood or dying trees. The MushroomExpert.com also shows photos of Laetiporus Cincinnatus which is described as growing at the base of a live oak tree.
    That is where I found the cluster. It measures 1 foot wide and two feet tall starting at the base of the tree.

Here is what I collected today. It looks like a layered petticoat. The color is orange on top. [​IMG]

The tube is about 1/2 inch[​IMG]

This photo shows the cream colored underside and this is one attached clump.[​IMG]

Now if this is actually Chicken in the woods....does anyone know how to cook it?
    Can it be dehydrated?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It looks like chicken of the woods to me, but I'm not an expert. The book I'm looking at states:

This colorful mushroom has no poisoness look alikes, but is sometimes poisonous itself... causes digestive upset. Conclusion: if you eat and enjoy this mushroom, always cook it thoroughly and do not serve it to lawyers, landlords, employers, policemen, pit bull owners, or others whose goodwill you cherish!

Imp- it really does say that.

All that the rain promises by David Arora

3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I wish my mom was modern with a computer because she would know. She is like the greatest mushroom hunter ever. She knows all of them. She use to get some of those like that that she called elephant ears. And some pink foamy ones, besides the reg morels. which we have gotten a lot of this year. I wish I could help. Good find and I hope they aren't poison. [​IMG]

4. NanaKat

Yes, my book says they are edible and should be cooked.

5. HiDelight

HiDelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    yes it is a chicken of the woods (although I would never swear to a mushroom ID online it looks like one to me as well) and how good it is depends on the tree it grows on! some trees like fir make it taste horrid

so cook a little piece and try it you only want to cut up and eat the tender parts (I would always have a local expert ID it in person before I would eat it if it was my first time even with the obvious it is the wise way to learn about these wonderful things!)

my favorite way to cook chicken of the woods is ...I slice it up like chicken strips ..bread it with panko crumbs spiced up with some dried red chile powder ..deep fry it and then drizzle honey over before serving ..very very good

also this is one best eaten as you find it ..I do not think it keeps well at all not dried or in the freezer but feel free to try

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. NanaKat

Thank you HiDelight.
    The cluster is growing on an oak tree. So far the pieces I collected earlier are still holding their color and firmness....I have been surprised by that. There is a little drying around the edges.
    I know a professor at a local university I can have look at the cluster for a second opinion.
    I'll collect fresh pieces to attempt a cooking.....your recipe sound really delish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by