Mushy crop - draining through mouth!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Equine_Angel, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Equine_Angel

Equine_Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Brentwood Bay, B.C.
    Hi All,

I found one of our hens in the corner of the coop not doing much. When I went to check on her, she was not looking so good. I noticed that she has gross liquid coming from her mouth and upon feeling her crop, it is very mushy...like a sack of liquid. I put her upside down and massaged her crop to get some of it out for a couple of minutes and now she is having a small break in a separate brooder from everyone else. What could this be? Should I continue putting her upside down to try and massage the stuff out of her every so often?

Help!

2. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Be careful about turning her upside down,mine died.

3. Equine_Angel

Equine_Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Brentwood Bay, B.C.
    I was reading up on sour crop and they said to put the chicken upside down and to massage some of the liquid out. I also made sure I hydrated her with water and apple cider vinegar...as the website had stated.... well, unfortunately, mine died too. Poor thing.

4. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Im so sorry for your loss! I would like to learn from the tragedy, what where the symptoms? I try to pick up my girls once and week and give their crops a feel, but they do not like to be handled especially in the summer heat. Any observational lessons?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by