Music, music, music!

JayC

Songster
Jun 13, 2018
Hello fellow feathered friend lovers! I'm here to introduce myself in a hobby I've had longer than chicken keeping. I've played piano for many years, and learned quite a bit of music theory. I picked up several other instruments for whatever my music teachers needed and stumbled across bass guitar! I now dub the instrument my passion instrument, although I'm still keen on learning piano. I grew up to my parents playing mainly 60s-90s rock and metal and love all kinds of rock/metal/old country bands.

Now, I'm currently majoring in music education in hopes to teach middle or high school music!

I absolutely LOVE to talk about music, whether it be about instruments, theory, or genres! I'm always wanting to learn terms, tips, n' tricks, too!

So... tell me your relationship to music! Instruments you play? Instruments you want to learn? Bands you'd reccomend? Favorite music theory topics?

I'm excited to hear from you all!

🎶

right now i have been listening to what i guess most would consider pretty heavy music. friend has been trying to get me to listen to it.

I love music! I play in order of skill, saxophone, harmonica, guitar and piano. I have been reading music since third grade and took theory in high school instead of Spanish. I also got into using DAWS and producing weird electronic music for a little while.

Lately I have been listening to: Consider the Source(HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO OTHER MUSICIANS), LeSpecial, A tribe Called Quests new album, Disclosure, Chris Malanchiak etc.

@JayC check this out

@Tre3hugger Thanks for the suggestion, I like the use of the rhythm! And ooo bass guitar slap! (Biased!!) I started theory/piano at age 7 for a while... Saxophone was definitely my least favorite.. never figured out why I didn't like it over other instruments.

That was certainly something new, definitely some smart minds!

@Tre3hugger Thanks for the suggestion, I like the use of the rhythm! And ooo bass guitar slap! (Biased!!) I started theory/piano at age 7 for a while... Saxophone was definitely my least favorite.. never figured out why I didn't like it over other instruments.

That was certainly something new, definitely some smart minds!
Their bassist blows my mind. He has a couple jazzier side projects but I can't remember his name right now. What is your favorite kind of music to play? How bout listen to?

@JacinLarkwell I haven't tried many foreign languages with music yet!!! I'll put them in my list.

@itsasmallfarm Ooo heavy as the genre? What are some examples?
not sure what genre it is, but am more into just metal,

for the really heavy music, the first song i listened to was pray for plagues cover by infant (which if you thought old bring me the horizon was heavy during there deathcore days then your in for a surprise)

the bands i enjoy are more of,
slipknot and korn

Hello fellow feathered friend lovers! I'm here to introduce myself in a hobby I've had longer than chicken keeping. I've played piano for many years, and learned quite a bit of music theory. I picked up several other instruments for whatever my music teachers needed and stumbled across bass guitar! I now dub the instrument my passion instrument, although I'm still keen on learning piano. I grew up to my parents playing mainly 60s-90s rock and metal and love all kinds of rock/metal/old country bands.

Now, I'm currently majoring in music education in hopes to teach middle or high school music!

I absolutely LOVE to talk about music, whether it be about instruments, theory, or genres! I'm always wanting to learn terms, tips, n' tricks, too!

So... tell me your relationship to music! Instruments you play? Instruments you want to learn? Bands you'd reccomend? Favorite music theory topics?

I'm excited to hear from you all!

🎶
ooOoOoOoooOooooooOo. I looove music!
I have always loved singing, and appreciate that my mother used to sing and dance like no one was watching, she set a great example for me. I certainly do that even though I get some looks, more often than not most people just comment how they wish they could sing too. I love encouraging others to sing... at work I put on music and if someone next to me is humming, I just tell them to sing! It's great. Everyone wants to work with me because I just encourage others to sing, which creates a much more positive work environment than grumbling about problems in the world/personal life etc. In my head I (sort of) cringe when folks can't carry a tune but they're smiling and to me their joy in music is more important than their ability to carry a tune. It brings people so much joy, and it's a shame folks don't do it more. I may not have the nicest singing voice, but I also think that is entirely up to whoever is listening. If folks don't like me singing in the grocery store, there's other aisles! :p

Instrument wise, I played flute for 6 years through high school (grades 7-12) and after that tinkered with steel string guitar (electric and acoustic) 4 and 5 string bass and classical guitar. I am currently teaching myself piano.

My biggest hang up is my music training/playing (any lessons) has entirely been in treble clef and avoiding the bass clef altogether, this was a struggle when doing more than tinkering with the bass (learning a song and only that song and no theory) and at the time I just didn't make time to learn the bass clef and theory, so the fun bass went to the wayside.

This has also presented its challenges with piano but I am certainly making progress and have many resources at my disposal for any piano specific questions (my brother played for over 20 years, has done some composing, won some local awards and wrote some music for an online RP game).

I have the most fun playing jazz and because I have the most fun with it, I see the quickest improvements in playing with it. Now this is far from anything you mentioned liking, but I feel his playing set groundwork for modern jazz piano... I don't know how anyone was able to remain seated during this, I just cannot not move when I hear music like this
I have been obsessed with this song for a very long time. Any artist that plays piano and has a horn section with them is a win in my books.

Hope this isnt too long of an answer haha

Back
Top Bottom