Must Be September

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
It must be September already. My geese are getting ready to fly to Argentina for the winter.

They start at one end of the orchard and run the full length of the orchard, flapping their wings. They are getting a pretty decent V formation going.

All the practice must be working because 2 goslings made it over a 2 ft tall fence yesterday. Well, more of a wing assisted climb than actually flying, but all they need is a little more practice and then it's "Hello Patagonia".

That must be so awesome to see!

My yongest boy and I saw probably a hundred Canada geese take off this morning. I think they must sleep in a nearby field or something.

lau.gif
Mine are practicing, too. Unbeknownst to them, their fat butts wouldn't make it to the next county if Tinkerbell herself sprinkled them with pixy dust.

My two embdens are testing their flight feathers too. One of them has actually made it off the ground about three feet high for about five or six feet. Surprised the heck out of us.
ep.gif

Oh LOL, I forgot what time of year it was
big_smile.png

My very fat nonflying geese have been making a horrid racket a couple of times a day lately, causing me to run outside and see what is killing them. Nope, they are flapping their wings and running across the yard (and stopping short at the garden fence). Then they look around like they are kind of lost.

Is this a possibility? Our Canada has taught our Chinese how to fly. They are both 5 months old. Chinese gets about 6 -8 feet off the ground and flies to the pond about 100 yards downhill. She has yet to tuck in her feet so it looks a little funny. Her landings in the pond are perfect though, using her feet as skies. They prefer to fly there rather than walking, too much in the open, too dangerous.

Quote:
Chinese are not heavy geese. What you describe is perfectly normal. She likely would have learned even without your Canadian as an example.

Quote:
You should take a video of it! That would be neat! My Chinas can fly a little, but have never seen them fly that well! That would be neat to see!

Back
Top Bottom