Mutliple question re housing my chicks

tommysgirl

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 18, 2012
I am just going to list them giving background as I go. Thanks in advance for the help.

1) How can I get them to go in the coop at night? I started them out cooped up for a day and a half but by noon of day 2 the temps had risen to over 100. They were panting and showing other signs of stress so I let them out into the run. It is a well ventilated coop with a corrugated tin roof and it was warmer in there than it was in the shade in the run. Now they still dont go in on their own but gather together in a corner of the run at dusk instead. we have tried enticing them to go in with teats but that hasn't been overly successful either...the ones that were enticed up the ladder refused to stay put.....all know how to use the ladder

2) It rained today so I shut them inside they are almost 6 weeks old, fully feathered but I didn't trust that they wouldn't stand in the rain b/c they dont put themselves in at night. was that the right thing to do? I didn't want them getting all wet and cold

3) Days have been warm to hot but they have a light at night when temps get down to the 50s. Is that the right call?

4) Our coop has a floor that is half redwood half wire mesh...there is no lip or anything separating the 2 sides. Do I put pine shavings on the wood side/ Put a lip between???

Thanks chicken peeps!

Last edited:
Thanks! I knew I could count on the people here!

Anyone have input on items 1-3??

Last edited:
1. Pick them up and carry them inside. Works better when it's dark.
2. Cold and wet is probably not good for small chickens. So yes, right thing to do.
3. I'd say give them the lamp for another week, but raise it a bit every day, so they get used to cooler temps.

I had the same problem with my chicks huddling in a corner of the run and not inside the coop at dusk. I moved them to the run at 2 weeks. The trick I used - that worked - is I put a light in the coop temporarily, turned it on just before dusk, and voila! If you don't have electricity in your coop you could try one of those solar yard lights? After several evenings of doing that, they just started going into the coop on their own at dusk with no light.

Question, Sumi and Buttercup, Thanks so much for all of the great advice and help. I appreciate it so much.

That's what we're here for. To help and share experiences
highfive.gif

1) don't feed them out side make them come in for food that way they get used to it..just might work.

I'd say to let them sleep where they like for now, perhaps physically put them in the coop once it is dark, but with that tin roof, if your temps are 100 during the day, it is going to be hot till fairly late. Getting wet in the rain is NOT an issue if it is that hot outside...they are likely nearly fully feathered, or already so at this point, so getting wet will not equate getting cold. They also do not need a light at night at 6 weeks old and with temps in the 50's.... I know many of us have had much younger babies outside with no lights in colder temps with no problems. They are tough animals, and sometimes we tend to "baby" them far too much. Heat is going to be waaaayyyyy worse for them at this age than spending the night in a cool coop.

Back
Top Bottom