Mutt Chickens and Combining Breed Names

I am all for purebreeds as well but mixes are fun. Just like with cattle and the composite names. We have had Polidottes (polish x wyandottes). Also when we had true araucanas and ameraucanas we used them to make EE's, here at home we called them eastercaunas. Then there were the dudottes which were d'uccle x wyandotte bantams. And the spandottes (spanish x wyandotte) and I am sure there are others I cant remember

Quote:
Are you sure he is a barred rock and sussex cross? He should be black with barring? The only way he could be a barred rock and sussex cross would be if the barred rock was a hybrid or heterozygous at the E locus.

I think the problem with giving hybrids names is that some people will use it to sell chickens that do not breed true. I have seen the same thing for varieties of certain breeds that are not true breeders. If the naming thing gets popular, then individuals will start selling hamlegs and rhodelegs etc. as if they are a new breed when they are actually a hybrid. Not everyone knows about the APA Standards and I can see someone advertising a rare new breed that only they sell and getting a lot of money for a hybrid. What a rip off!
If a person can produce a new breed with different characteristics more power to them but it must breed true in type and variety and consistently express the genotype of the breed.

Tim

Yep. His dad was a Light Sussex and his mom is a Barred Rock. I have no hybrid chickens, mutts, but no hybrids. I would love to see a duck-chicken hybrid though! The barred rock hens, I got them from a rancher who breeds chickens for laying and meat. He does have show quality birds, I did get a couple of cochins from him that grew out beautifully. I don't think he breeds them specifically for show, but he does have them. He keeps all the birds seperate too, cochins, SLWs, barred rocks, NHRs, easter eggers, all kept seperate. The Light Sussex roo came from a local person who bought him and his brothers as youngins at a bird show.
In March when a broody hatched them, there was another that came out just like him, an almost identical version of the dad (light sussex), and 2 that were black with barring. Unfortunately all roosters.
tongue.png

Hey what about a name for silkie/easter eggers? I have 2 of those!

Deep inside all chickens "purebreds' are really just mutts except for the believed origin of the chicken the "red jungle fowl"or the T-rex. So unless you have a "red jungle fowl' or a T-rex then you have a mutt.
wink.png
So mutts are as good as The so called "purebred' of today.
rant.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Are you sure he is a barred rock and sussex cross? He should be black with barring? The only way he could be a barred rock and sussex cross would be if the barred rock was a hybrid or heterozygous at the E locus.

I think the problem with giving hybrids names is that some people will use it to sell chickens that do not breed true. I have seen the same thing for varieties of certain breeds that are not true breeders. If the naming thing gets popular, then individuals will start selling hamlegs and rhodelegs etc. as if they are a new breed when they are actually a hybrid. Not everyone knows about the APA Standards and I can see someone advertising a rare new breed that only they sell and getting a lot of money for a hybrid. What a rip off!
If a person can produce a new breed with different characteristics more power to them but it must breed true in type and variety and consistently express the genotype of the breed.

Tim

Yep. His dad was a Light Sussex and his mom is a Barred Rock. I have no hybrid chickens, mutts, but no hybrids. I would love to see a duck-chicken hybrid though! The barred rock hens, I got them from a rancher who breeds chickens for laying and meat. He does have show quality birds, I did get a couple of cochins from him that grew out beautifully. I don't think he breeds them specifically for show, but he does have them. He keeps all the birds seperate too, cochins, SLWs, barred rocks, NHRs, easter eggers, all kept seperate. The Light Sussex roo came from a local person who bought him and his brothers as youngins at a bird show.
In March when a broody hatched them, there was another that came out just like him, an almost identical version of the dad (light sussex), and 2 that were black with barring. Unfortunately all roosters.
tongue.png

Hey what about a name for silkie/easter eggers? I have 2 of those!

Silkster

I have a little Light Brahma x Buff Orpington cock. He's pretty dang cute. I think he has a 'solid' gene from his mother (BO), but his legs, feathering, tail, etc. Are so much like his father. I think crosses are so much fun.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom