Mutt Chickens

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
Does anyone have any unusually-paired mutt chickens? I have this one mutt chicken, Olga, whose mother was a pretty gold EE and her father was a handsome American game rooster. She looks like an EE from the shoulders-up (has the typical ameraucana-type beard/tufts) and looks like an American game from the shoulders down... she has long, thick legs and she's REAL fast. She's not as big as my other EE was at 20 weeks, but as of tomorrow, she is 20 weeks old. We anticipate her to start laying hopefully sometime around February/March. She's the first chicken I've raised since chick-hood, but she's not very warm and friendly. She's sweet, but she is stand-offish and keeps to herself for the most part. I think that may have to do with the gamefowl influence because my other EEs are my friendliest chooks.

I'm anxious to see what color eggs she produces, too. I'm really hoping she'll produce a creamy off-white/yellowish-tinged egg, but for all I know, she might lay bright blue eggs.

Do any of you with mixed flocks ever allow your birds to mix breeds? What are some of the interesting combinations have been accidentally (or on purpose!) produced in your yards? What are some of the temperaments?

I have several polish X araucana cross's. They are black, have small crests, and nutty as fruitcakes. I have a polish X EE cross that looks like a Dr. Suess invention. We call her Suessie. She is not crazy.

They all lay beautiful blue eggs.

Lanae

Hehehe I bet they are real characters!

Do pullets tend to take more after their mothers (for those of you with more chicken genetics knowledge) or their fathers when it comes to egg-laying? I mean, we'll know what color eggs she's gonna lay eventually when she starts laying, but it would be interesting to know what tends to be more dominant. If any of you brainiacs care to share your thoughts/opinions regarding this odd mixed bird, 'twould be appreciated!

The lady I got her from was a BYCer, and I believe she said this chick hatched from a greenish-blue egg. She's 20 weeks now, so I'm thinking (hoping) she'll lay sometime around February-ish, though truth be told, she's more red in the face than my 30+-week-old RIR!! So who's to say?

Back
Top Bottom