Mutt chicks gender guess

Thank you, thank you. Keeping my fingers. Just got a pretty sweet coop for them. I really hope they get to live there for a very long time.
I have two little chicks that are 10 weeks and I’m pretty sure they’re both pullets and they chest bump and dance around with their hackles out at each other…they’re hatch mates and it had me worried too 😆🥴

4-5 weeks update. They are still too young, but I think #3 is looking extra suspicious 🤨

Attachments

• 8E607EFF-3F45-435C-929E-1E70D2372AB3.jpeg
    8E607EFF-3F45-435C-929E-1E70D2372AB3.jpeg
    859.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 90DCB017-EDA9-4A5D-8D50-0EC8B6F37089.jpeg
    90DCB017-EDA9-4A5D-8D50-0EC8B6F37089.jpeg
    668 KB · Views: 6
Group photos. Btw is it possible that they are some kind of buff Orpington or isa brown mix?

Attachments

• 484823B7-CE54-4C59-A50E-C51C03078D0C.jpeg
    484823B7-CE54-4C59-A50E-C51C03078D0C.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 136E49E4-104F-490D-A0A3-B2EB6C78FBBC.jpeg
    136E49E4-104F-490D-A0A3-B2EB6C78FBBC.jpeg
    803.1 KB · Views: 6
Also is there a way to tell the difference between laying chickens vs meat chickens from their physical appearance? I had zero knowledge when I first got them. Now, after learning so much about breeds/characters from here, it makes me question are they meat chicken? :eek:

4-5 weeks update. They are still too young, but I think #3 is looking extra suspicious 🤨
Group photos. Btw is it possible that they are some kind of buff Orpington or isa brown mix?
They are all still pullets for now and you should update in a few more weeks so that we can sex them accurately. ;) And yeah they kinda do look like some kind of buff orpington mix.
Also is there a way to tell the difference between laying chickens vs meat chickens from their physical appearance? I had zero knowledge when I first got them. Now, after learning so much about breeds/characters from here, it makes me question are they meat chicken? :eek:
Which meat birds do you mean? Like cornish cross? Because cornish crosses have feathers missing cause they are too big and are not super healthy. And they get super fat super quick. That's how it is with all meat birds. But layer chickens are like the opposite of this. Buff orpingtons though are pretty plump as babies (and as hens) but I don't think that yours are meat birds. They are very cute though!❤️ Quick question-Did you get them from somewhere or are they from your flock(if you have one.) If you did get them from somewhere, do you know what chickens they have in their flock? (This is to figure out breed cross because I am very curious).;)

Last edited:
They are all still pullets for now and you should update in a few more weeks so that we can sex them accurately. ;) And yeah they kinda do look like some kind of buff orpington mix.

Which meat birds do you mean? Like cornish cross? Because cornish crosses have feathers missing cause they are too big and are not super healthy. And they get super fat super quick. That's how it is with all meat birds. But layer chickens are like the opposite of this. Buff orpingtons though are pretty plump as babies (and as hens) but I don't think that yours are meat birds. They are very cute though!❤️ Quick question-Did you get them from somewhere or are they from your flock(if you have one.) If you did get them from somewhere, do you know what chickens they have in their flock? (This is to figure out breed cross because I am very curious).;)
Thank you so much for explaining those to me. I’m super new to backyard chicken raising and currently fascinating about everything. I got them from my dad’s acquaintance’s backyard flock. I don’t think my dad knows anything about chickens either, so he just randomly picked three chicks without asking anything. It’s not until later that I realized there can be so many different types and breeds of chicken, quite amazing!

Thank you so much for explaining those to me. I’m super new to backyard chicken raising and currently fascinating about everything. I got them from my dad’s acquaintance’s backyard flock. I don’t think my dad knows anything about chickens either, so he just randomly picked three chicks without asking anything. It’s not until later that I realized there can be so many different types and breeds of chicken, quite amazing!
No problem! If you have any other questions you can just ask! I remember back when I first started taking care of chickens and I didn't know anything about them. Then I started looking at backyard chickens(this was like a year before I joined) and now I know a lot! (I used to think that roosters were completely different things than chickens. And I thought that both roosters and hens laid eggs!😂:oops:)

No problem! If you have any other questions you can just ask! I remember back when I first started taking care of chickens and I didn't know anything about them. Then I started looking at backyard chickens(this was like a year before I joined) and now I know a lot! (I used to think that roosters were completely different things than chickens. And I thought that both roosters and hens laid eggs!😂:oops:)
Seriously, it’s a complete new world for me to explore. Like chicken can lay green and blue eggs, absolutely fascinating!!!

I agree they do look like they have some Orpington mixed in, but the yellow legs/feet make me wonder what the other is that is mixed in! :) They’re very cute non-meat breed chickens :) My daughter would giggle when our chicks were this age cuz the chest feathers came in and looked like boobs to her haha! Someone referred to the extra big one on one side when the crop is full as their chickens “food boob” and I can’t unhear it now 😆

Back
Top Bottom