Mutt egg color?

milleryardchx

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Washington State
So in the incubator i have eggs from of the following 2 barred rocks, 1 buff Brahma, 1 RIR hens and the roo is an EE soo if these chicks are hens will they lay green or brown eggs?

This is my first round with an incubator and I wanted to test my roos fertility rate and I just want to know if you can tell what the egg colors of these would be without having to wait 6 months to find out?

Yes, all will lay tinted/brown eggs.

You will not know for sure if any of the pullets will lay green eggs until they lay. Maybe all(if he is pure for the blue/green eggshell gene) or half(if he's not pure) or none. Even if he has a pea comb, it is not a foolproof guarantee. If he has a single comb, chances of green eggs is most likely none.

It will be a good chance for a lesson on genetics- figuring how what sort of genes the rooster probably has... Too bad it takes so long for this particular trait though.

the rooster has a pea comb, greenish legs and the beard the guy i got him from said he was an americana but you never know what they really are so I just call him an EE.

Last edited:
Odds are you will have blue or green tinted eggs. I recently hatched some eggs from a mixture of EE hens. Most of these mixed eggs were tinted a brownish green/or blue...which means that the hens that laid them were mixes from EE's already. The rooster's were a mixture of anything from Polish to EE to Cochin. I'm pretty sure that this new line will revert to a more tan egg since the odds are that the EE rooster fathered the egg is slim (in those that are obvious cases of course like the polish or the cochins...).

Back
Top Bottom