Mutt Possibilities and Chicken Math!?

noitulover

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Central Virginia
This really isn't super important, but I'm infinitely curious about it! (and obviously, it is all guesswork at this point)

I only have 2 roosters, a BBR OEGB (but very hatchery quality or even less/yellow legs, coloring a bit off) and an Exchequer Leghorn. (We live pretty far in the backwoods, so there are no neighboring chickens.)

3 hens just hatched out chicks 5 chicks; rather, 2 hens hatched out 1 chick, and 1 hen hatched out 4 chicks!

I have a BTW Jap and an EE/Australorp Mutt, both mothering a standard-sized looking black and white chick. It came from a white standard sized egg. I only have 2 hens that lay standard white eggs: 1 White Leghorn and 1 Exchequer Leghorn. It looks like an Exchequer Leghorn chick, but is there any chance it is 1/2 White Leghorn, or would solid white genes have muted the Excheq. coloring?

The other 4 chicks are being raised by a Buff Orpington that we thought had gone missing. She returned today with 4 chicks who looked like they just hatched. All four chicks look exactly the same. They have yellow legs, golden faces, and darker brownish black bodies. The coloring of the chicks actually looks a bit like Golden Sebright chicks (we have none of those though, so that would be impossible.) Considering that both Exchequer Leghorns and Buff Orpingtons have white/pink legs, aren't the yellow legs like a 99% sign that they are from my bantam rooster?

Thanks for the reading this long post and doing the guesswork!

Back
Top Bottom