mutts!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Beakz, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Beakz

Beakz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    curious about mutts! my rooster is a mutt and my hens are various standard breeds. curious do mixed chicks have the same chance of hatching?? do they stay the same size and produce the same amounts and standard breeds?? when my hens sat on eggs last year only the purebreds hatches(brahma chicks from a brahma rooster and hens) the others eggs didnt hatch and had their eggs were brahma mixed with other. thanks

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I had a mixed breed rooster over different breeds of purebred hatchery birds for a few years and hatched out a lot of pretty, healthy, productive mixed breed birds. They have no problems hatching or anything else. The offspring will be a mix of the parents--if the parents are high production birds, the offspring will be also. If the parent stock are broody, the offspring will tend to broodiness also. They'll be the same rough size as the parents. Some traits are dominant, like feathered legs, and some just mix together.

I like having mixed breed birds cause I'm one of those folks who wants something different than everyone else has. No one else has birds that look just like mine, and that's the way I like it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by