My $100.00 coop and run (picture heavy)

woot.gif
Great job!

Yay!!!, I'm a big fan of salvage material use and "field engineered solutions". Looks good to me. My only suggestions is for the future in that if you also garden, make your garden twice the size you need, fence it off into two sections and let the chickens into the opposite part you're not using that year and alternate each year----saves you ton's of work with mulch and fertilizer. I'm also a fan of the deep litter over a sub-ground dirt floor, but that is just me, I only clean out the Coop once a year when I want the compost for the garden---but then that's a personal choice from my concepts of utilitarian farm work.

Quote:
I do grow a garden. Down here we get 2 full growing seasons and I can all excess produce. I actually thought about letting them run in the garden after the plants had grown large enough that the chickens could not do to much damage and use them as bug patrol. Our garden is totally organic so I have no fear of the chickens eating fertilizer or insect killer. I figured if they did less damage than insects do then it would be a win win situation for me. Have you ever allowed your chickens into your garden?

Quote:
Only when I'm done for the season, chickens will relentlessly destroy garden plants during the growing season. My Guineas will occasionally fly in and do bug patrol during the summer, they rarely harm the plants, but chickens will. I use the chickens over the fall and winter to till and clean my garden up for me------works great. When I close then out in the spring, the garden is weed and plant free, one quick till and plant. The garden tills up great after being worked over by the chickens.

good spending......just build another exactly like that one, next to eachother, and you then should have enough space. because yes chickens get bigger,,,,and fast.
good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom