My 15week old Austrolorp X chicks - worried I have a Roo

They both look like pullets to me. I have 7 Australorps. One is just maturing faster than the other in my opinion.
smile.png

Last edited:
hi there .... the chic I thought was a roo is letting 'himself' out in the morning and is sitting atop the temp shelter (dog kennel) they sleep in when I get up in the morning. And Yes I can (now they are going on 17weeks) felt sharp little points on his legs and he seems leaner and not as plump and rounded as his sister.... comb / wattles arnt as pronounced as i would have thought with a Roo though :( 0 Oi it think its a ROO
!!!!!

Still I hope I'm wrong........... will try for a few more pics soon....

Of my two australorp girls, one looks to be literally half the size of the other (and feels it if you pick them up). My guess is that the heavier one is going to keel over from some reproductive defect years before the skinny one. Have you had adult hens before? Don't give up on her yet.

Hi All !

Just an Update on the chickies.... My Lorps are now 18-19 weeks old.... and here are a few more pics I took - bear in mind that they are crosses

This is Roo ( because I really think this chick maybe a Rooster)

At that age, 18-19 weeks, you'd definately know if you had a rooster. They are all hens. Congratulations!

BTW aren't you getting any eggs from Orppy, or have you ever gotten eggs from her???
idunno.gif

And the two others should start laying soon too, if they haven't already....

Hi thanks for the replys. Unfortunately Im not sure if they have laid any. I am thinking one has as we got a yolk less very small dark egg two to three weeks ago. Then I found one out in the coop (not the laying nest) though it was very white (unlike the light tan ones from the reds I own) So I assumed it was from the black girls -
D.gif

But It is coming into winter here and we have had a few snap cold days.Daylight saving has been ended and light is getting shorter very quick.

The one we call Roo is molting and we had to euthanasia one of the old girls this weekend just gone. She came to us in poor condition and I was unable to save her........

So I figure this all would effect egg laying... ... ... ...
barnie.gif

Also I have stopped them free ranging all day and just let them have half hour to hour before their bed time. So I think the one that laid in the coop yard may have laid where ever she was and the dog had a treat every few days. When I limited the free range I had 2 eggs each day for 3 days. (from 5 chooks)

I am hoping this increases after winter.......
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom