my 16 week chickens hate pellets

max101

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
newcastle Australia
I have 4 silkies 3 are 16 weeks old and 1 is 7 months. They hate pellets. They love scatch though. I give them mealworms, yoghurt, weetbix, sultanas, noodles, rice and peas and corn as well as treats. They refuse to eat pellets I put them down and no way will they eat them. How can I trick them into eating them. Can I smother the pellets in something. I have bought different pellets from different stores to no avail.

are they laying yet? is it layer pellets? if so you could try layer mash instead they may waste more but maybe they are having a hard time with the pellets.

Last edited:
Hahaha
lol.png

I think the real issue is they have developed a taste for the "human" foods instead of the chicken foods. Mine are the same way Given the choice between pellets, scratch and my daughter's left over bread crust, they always run for the bread crust first... then the scratch,... then the pellets. They're not stupid.

Stop feeding them so much treats..... mine resisted at first until they realized that is the bulk of their meals.... Skip the treats for a couple days until they start eating it or just throw the pellets as treats LOL giving them just treats will make them fat that can lead to other health problems...

My 7 month old lays an egg a day but it is autumn here in australia so that may stop soon. Yesterday when I was giving my chooks there meal worms poach had a massive lump on her chest it is down this morning though. They always eat eat and eat some more. They run around the yard all day and are penned at night. I will find some crumble for them

pellets can be put in a metal garbage can and using something big try to crumble them till they get used to them
also if you don't feed so much other things they will eat pellets
mainly one feeds treats to watch the chickens interact with them selves
so they will eventually see you are not giving them so many extras and not wait on them

I'm with gritsar. If the chucks don't like the pellets it is because they are full of rubbish! God knows what's in them. We got salmonella because the processed food was packed with their faeces! I feed my family with raw ingredients, not processed. I do the same with my chucks. At least I know what I am giving them when I am looking at a raw maize cob or a sunflower seed.

Back
Top Bottom